Betrayal Can Come From Anywhere

3 years later

“Melissa, stop jumping on the bed. You need to go to bed!” I raised my voice towards her jumping up and down. Her hair was in pigtails that we’re getting thrown around.

She giggles where I could hear the bed creek underneath her feet. “But I’m not tired!”

“Well it’s almost midnight so you need to go to sleep.” Putting my hands on my hips I shook my head at all her energy.

Alina tossed the covers aside following her actions before they began to jump back and forth from one bed to the other. She had her hair in a braid falling down her back. “Mommy, tell us a story!”

“Mommy!” Whipping my head around I recognized the third voice as Hope who had her hair loose falling everywhere when she ran from Klaus being on her tail.

He was wearing one of his gray tea shirts that is long sleeved. I was in one of his tea shirts and some shorts. “Girls, listen to your mother or I’ll take away your toys!” He warned them by wrapping his arms around me from behind.

“Yes daddy.” Hope climbs into bed.

Missy and Alina snuggled down underneath the covers. “Okay daddy.”

“Goodnight girls.” Shutting the door behind us I turned in his arms sighing heavily into his embrace. “Where do they get all that energy from?”

Klaus shrugged his shoulders, still holding me in his arms. “They’re three years old, Raelyn. The only reason we're tired all the time is because we're the ones chasing them all day. Now let’s head to bed before they wake up again.”

The next morning we got up where I walked outside seeing a witch named Josephine standing in our entrance. “What the hell are you doing here?”

“I've come bearing a message from your aunt Dahlia.” Elijah looks stunned. “She is owed a debt, and she means to be paid.”

Klaus threatened her by taking my hand in his. “She can writhe in Hell first.”

“She’s just a child. You have no right to take her from us!” I snapped towards the witch tempted to just spell her ass out of the compound without a second thought.

Josephine tilted her head at us. “For merely taking what your mother promised her?  If you must harbor hatred, isn't it better spent on the one who traded your child away a thousand years ago? Blame Esther, if you must, but I seek only to fulfill a bargain. A bargain that, consequently, resulted in your very existence. Perhaps you should be thanking me?”

Elijah, Klaus, and Rebekah all begin to scowl and glare at her. “Dahlia.”

Josephine grins. “My child, I prefer Aunt Dahlia.”

Klaus takes a deep breath and walks toward her until they are face-to-face. “You dare enter my home?”

Josephine / Dahlia sighs boredly, shifting her gaze between our group. “I only came for what is mine. The time has come to add the child's power to my own. Though, I do not detect her here. I see you've used a spell to cloak her. No matter. Such spells will yield, as will you. Say your farewells. You have 'til nightfall tomorrow, and then the child shall be mine. No reason we can't be civilized about this.”

Klaus vamped forward, cutting her head off where her body fell to the ground. He wrapped his arm around my waist where I gripped his shirt in my fingers. “It’s going to be okay, Rae. We won’t let her take them.”

Walking through the house I wrapped my arms around myself remembering when we asked Freya for her help to teach the kids when they came of age. I didn’t like that the fate of our children had to be taken care of by our own children. It had been three years of somewhat peace so I thought we we’re done. “Three years, Nik. She should just leave us alone.”