Chapter 13: Dorian Saunders

Start from the beginning

"The only person who gets to discipline me is Dakota."

"I'm going to fucking kill you, Poison," Reaper says through gritted teeth.

He's not really. He's only pissed because he's thinking about Fiona the same way and just wants to go home to her. He just wants to get this shit done and not play games when our lives are on the line. 

But Poison gets through things like this by being a fucking maniac because he just feels so many things at once and humor helps him through it. The two of them can usually handle it, but today it seems like we need a mediator.

"Two minutes out, boys," Carbon calls out over the comms.

This is when Poison will get serious. He just needed to get the weirdness out first. It will return after we're done. It always does.

Carbon guides us into a more hidden spot to park behind the warehouse, so we can go through the trees and maybe have a slight advantage against whoever is in the warehouse, waiting for us. 

My steps are light as we sneakily make our way through the trees, stepping to a grassy area once we step past the tree line. Whiskey unlocks the large metal door for us, spraying W-D 40 quickly so that the door doesn't make a noise when he opens it. As soon as we get inside, we break into groups of five. Reaper, Bullet, Tank, and Scout, Whiskey in one. Poison, Slasher, Vegas, Alpha, and me in another. 

Carbon calls shots for us in the comms when we don't have a perspective of who's around us, but besides that, we have everything under control. Throughout the entire warehouse, there were only about forty people, and we even searched for underground tunnels (which didn't exist). 

But after having detained and questioned a few subjects, there didn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary. It was like a normal run where people give in easily, way too easily for what we're dealing with here.

This arms dealer has been evading us for weeks. We've had trouble every step of the way, and now, in a major warehouse, it's like protection and security don't exist. Most of the people here don't even go out in the field. 

They make and keep an inventory of the weapons, are accountants, and literally use methods to evade the police. These are the people keeping us away from finding out who the arms dealer is and stopping them. Why lead us directly here? 

Carbon says nothing out of sorts is happening at our warehouse and headquarters, the bar is full of people having lunch, and there haven't been any security breaches at our homes. So why the hell are we out here? 

Yes, I understand that it's good we found part of the problem, and we can stop the distribution of the weapons that we've found here, but there's something else at play here. I just don't know what it is. Alpha doesn't even look concerned. Neither does Reaper. 

All things about this situation are weird. I'm not the only one recognizing it. I can't be.

I observe Alpha and Reaper discretely, trying to see if I can figure out what the fuck is going on. It doesn't take long for either of them to notice me eyeing them, so they are quick to separate, ending up in the group of five that Alpha organized. 

Funny that they aren't in the same one. 

I feel a hand on my shoulder and swivel my head to see Tank standing beside me.

"You alright, Bear?"

"Yeah, just trying to figure something out."

"Anything I can help you with?"

As much as I would like to ask for help, I don't think I'm ready. There's too much that I don't know to even know how to ask for help. Adding onto that, maybe there's a good reason that Alpha and Reaper are hiding whatever they are hiding. 

I would rather just talk to them about it before coming to any conclusions or making a big deal out of something that needs to be kept on the down low. No matter how much I hate not knowing, Kate also said it was to my benefit. I want to know but I also have to trust Alpha.

"I don't know."

"Well, if you ever do know, I'm here for you okay?"

I mean, if he's here for me then maybe he will help me decipher what's going on with Kate, or my feelings for her, I mean.

"Can I ask you a question unrelated to what you initially asked me about?"

"Sure, man, what's up?"

"Kate. She's messing with my head."

"Oh? It's that kind of question."

At the wave of Alpha's hand, we start walking through the now-empty warehouse and back to our cars.

"When did you know that Hazel was the woman for you?"

"The moment I saw her. I knew from the second she started to fight with me that I wanted her to be my Old Lady. Why do you ask?"

"Something's going on with me. Kate's all I think about. She walks into the room, and I want to talk to her and be near her. I only met her yesterday, and I...react to her."

"Oh boy, you're in trouble."

"I kinda got that."