Chapter 8: Kate Thatcher

"I have a question for you," Alpha states after taking a long sip of what I think is a margarita.

"I may have an answer."

"Why are you here?"

Of course, he's asking me that. Why wouldn't he? It's a relevant question that causes me pure anguish. I have options for answering this question. 

One, I could either lie or tell the truth. Two, if I lie, what will be my lie? Three, if I tell a good lie and he believes it, how will I live that lie? Or what if I decide to tell the truth? What will happen then? 

I could get out from under my father's authority or be put right back into it. Or I could get killed by either Alpha or my father. Neither of them would care. I don't know of anyone who would care. Not that I care that I don't have anyone to care. But I have to fucking answer this question. It would be harder to continue living a lie than die. 

I wonder how swift my death would be. Alpha seems like he would do it quickly, but I can't guarantee that he'd be the one to do it. My father, and anyone else who knows me or about me, would make my death as slow and painful as possible. 

However, dying is still easier than lying. I also have a better chance of living after telling the truth here than lying and not dying with my father.

Eh, fuck it. I may as well tell the truth.

"Honestly 'cause my father wants me to take you down."

Alpha isn't that surprised. He's mostly surprised I told him.

"Why would you tell me that?"

"Because I don't care, but I'm here because I don't want to die."

"How do you think we can get around that?"

"Without giving him what he wants?"

"Well, yeah. We're talking about my club."

I'm not a fucking dumbass.

"I'd be down to kill him."

I'm not lying. I totally would.

"How do you think we'll manage that?"

"It'll take some planning, but I could get it done. I'm his daughter; I know his weaknesses and his strengths. I just need time."

"How much?"

"Too much. He'll notice something's wrong if nothing here changes."

Alpha scratches the back of his head, a light sigh releasing from his mouth.

"I have a question for you now, Alpha. What could go wrong that wouldn't hurt you but seem like I'm still doing what I'm supposed to do? It doesn't have to be anything grand."

"No fucking idea."

"Well think about it, dumbass."

"I could kill you," he threatens me.

But I know he won't. He's letting me stay. Why would he kill me now?

"I could kill you."

I wouldn't, but I like that the threat is out there.

"You are exhausting."

"I hear that a lot."

"I'll come up with something. I will be telling my wife."

"Just be careful. The people closest to us are in the most danger. Though, I'm sure you know that."

"I could put up more security measures. But that would tip him that I think something is off."