Chapter 31

HARRY STYLES

Seven Years Ago

"So what are you doing tonight?" I asked Scarlett, trying not to sound too eager or obsessed.

"Nothing," she wrinkled her nose, but it wasn't a teasing or a suggestive "nothing". It was just a plain "nothing".

I cleared my throat as we followed the pathway from the library back to the dining hall. "Did you, um–"

"I'm on my period," she cut me off.

My brows raised in shock from the way she was so quick to interrupt me, but I sort of forgot periods were a thing until she mentioned it. That would be the first one she had since we started sleeping together, and it was crazy to think it had already been at least a month.

"Oh, so...you don't wanna hang out?"

"I mean, we won't be having sex, so."

"Yeah, of course," I cough into my fist. "I just thought maybe we could...not...have sex. We could do something else."

She halted her steps altogether, standing there in the middle of the path in short frayed denim shorts and a tight small T-shirt. "You wanna hang out and not have sex?"

I adjusted the strap of my backpack over my shoulder, nodding. "Yeah. If you want to. We can do whatever you want."

Her expression remained impossible to read as she chewed on her gum, her jaw popping with every bite. "I wanna get high and watch The Strangers again."

Before I could stop it, my face twitched just slightly as I recalled the last time she made me watch that movie. It was both a thriller and a horror, which she preferred for whatever reason. But for her, I'd sit through it again.

"That sounds good to me," I nodded nonchalantly.

She started to smile then, but her eyes began to narrow at the same time. "And we're keeping our clothes on the entire time."

"Got it," I chuckled nervously. "That's alright."

Her mischievous smirk then turned into one of those smiles that she constantly tried to hide from me. She didn't like me to know when she was happy for some reason, but I'd like to think I learned what she liked and didn't like pretty quickly.

"You're weird," she said, still blushing as she suddenly continued walking right past me.

Like an absolute fucking moron, I grinned from ear to ear and practically tripped over my own feet to follow her toward the girls' dorms. When we got there, Emma and Niall were making out pretty heavily on Em's bed, but even though they were fully clothed, she still panicked and shoved him off of her, embarrassed to be caught.

"Dude, relax," Scarlett cackled as Niall hit the floor with a loud thump.

"Sorry," Emma laughed nervously and tried to be subtle about adjusting her clothes. "Are you–what are you guys doing here?"

"We're gonna watch a scary movie and get high," Scarlett carelessly dropped her school bag on the floor and walked over to her dresser to retrieve her bag of blunts.

"Oh, but...remember how the girls next door were complaining? I don't know if we should do that anymore."

Scarlett offered something of a laugh as she placed the blunt between her full lips and said, "The girls next door can kiss my fucking ass, how's that?"