Chapter 24

SCARLETT PARKER

Fashionably late, as always, I come to a stop in front of Harry's new townhouse and see the windows all lit up, glowing orange in the dark. I can hear music playing, but not too loudly because Harry Styles is a responsible and courteous neighbor, and I swear I can hear Niall's laugh from out here on the sidewalk. That only makes me smile to myself before I climb the steps to let myself inside.

Stevie Nicks' voice sounds through the house as I close the door behind me and look at the empty and peaceful sitting room to my right. Part of the reason I was sold on this place when we saw it is that I can easily imagine us in there with the fire going during the winter. Harry would be reading an actual book while I'd be scrolling on my phone or taking pictures of him until my camera roll is full, and although there are two velvet armchairs, we'd be sharing the narrow couch.

My platform boots clomp on the stairs as I make my way to the second floor where the party is happening. I recognize a few of the guys and girls as bartenders and servers from The Wall and of course Emma and Niall. Harry's talking to Seth in the living room, and I let myself stop to stare as he scrunches his nose up to laugh with one hand on Seth's shoulder, a drink in the other. The scene reminds me very much of the first time I ever saw him. He was always laughing.

His smile remains as he makes a passive glance to the doorway, making a double-take when he sees me standing here. I'm wearing my low-rise leather pants with a slight flare at the hem and a cropped black mesh shirt with no bra, which I'm sure Seth could have done without seeing, but I only dress for myself and for the man looking at me like I'm his whole world right now.

I stay put and lean against the door frame until he gives in to make his way over to me like I knew he would, leaving Seth with just a few words. He stands in front of me, and I shamelessly look him up and down from head to toe in his burgundy short sleeve button-down before I pop one of the buttons open for him.

"Better," I nod, and the creases of his dimples deepen as he leans in to kiss the corner of my mouth.

"Hi," his gaze lowers to my top, and I conceal a smile when I know he's torn between thinking I look amazing and wishing that I was wearing a different shirt around all these people. "I'm glad you could make it."

"Oh, sure," I take his plastic cup when he holds it out to me. "Thanks for the invite. Very thoughtful of you."

"Mhm," he lets me take a sip of his straight whiskey, but the second I bring the cup down, he leans in for another kiss as I just barely swallow the bitter drink.

And this is exactly why I told him I would be busy until right after the party started. Sometimes I just wanted to give him the chance to miss me, because this is how he acts. He gets overly affectionate to make up for the hours lost, and he kisses me like he hasn't seen me in years.

"You taste drunk," I say between kisses, feeling him smile against my mouth before he steals one more from me.

"I am, just a bit," he tucks my hair behind my ears. "Let me make you a drink."

I nod and hold onto his arm as he takes me over to the kitchen to pour me a cup of whiskey over ice, watching him talk to his employees and friends as they congratulate him on the new house. He introduces me to the ones I don't know with his hand on the back of my neck, and I notice the way he keeps his hold on me as I reach out to shake their hands.

"Are you hungry?" He asks once we're alone again. "I saved you some pizza."

Angel.

"I'm okay," I sip from my cup and look away from him to avoid seeing the disappointment in his eyes. "I think I'm gonna head outside and have a cigarette."