Chapter 5

School is finally over! (In less than three months I'll be there again, but shhhh)

Also, thank you so much for all of your support. I really appreciate it and it helps me keep motivated :)

Anyways, hope y'all enjoy this new chapter!

After everything had been finally explained and she had the time to fully process everything (she had lost so much of Sonic's life, it actually hurt), everyone, besides Sonic, "suddenly" had to "do" something and left her and Sonic alone in the living room (she was 99% certain it was just a way for them to have a much-needed talk, which she very much appreciated).

"I'm sorry you had to be alone for a decade," Longclaw began, looking directly at he- their son, "I thought that staying hidden was the right thing, when-"

"Longclaw," Sonic began, interrupting her, "you don't have to worry about my past. I'm not in the forest anymore. Everything has been great, and I couldn't imagine it getting better, especially now that you're here." He finished with a smile, clearly trying to comfort her.

Sonic is happy now, and she's so glad that's the case, but Sonic had to go through a decade of intense loneliness because of her. The humans and Sonic didn't say much about his past, but she knew. She knew it wasn't as fine as they made it seem. He had to have, at some point, struggled really hard to keep himself alive, to find food, to find shelter, to—she doesn't even want to think about it!

"Sonic", Longclaw began, "I know you're okay. And I'm so thankful you're not alone anymore. But that doesn't diminish what happened to you before, nor does it make it okay. You could have had a family for more than a decade. But you didn't because of what I told you to do." Sonic was opening his mouth, ready to say 'It's okay' or something similar, but Longclaw needed to apologize to her—their son—and needed to say everything Sonic deserved to hear, even if he didn't think so. "I apologize for putting you through so much unnecessary suffering and turmoil. Clearly some humans are trustworthy, and Earth is way safer than I once judged." She finished, using her wings to hold his gloved hands.

"I did get lucky..." Sonic said, holding Longclaw's wings gently and looking to the side... like... he was guilty? Guilty of what?

"I know. But, after everything you told me, I've realized how overprotective of you I was."

Sonic frowned slightly, looking like he didn't fully agree with her.

"You weren't that overprotective. After all... it was my fault that the echidnas got you." Sonic said, guilty invading his voice.

What did Sonic just say? His fault? That thought had never even crossed her mind. Obviously, it wasn't Sonic's fault, and it would never be his fault. She wondered how much Sonic had thought about it. Hopefully, not too much (she had a feeling that probably wasn't the case).

"Sonic... it wasn't your fault. You weren't the one bringing the echidnas, were you?"

"But if I hadn't brought the sunflower, none of that wouldn't have happened!" Sonic said it rather loudly, showing that he was angry with himself.

Sonic definitely thought way too much about this. And he's way too guilty about something he shouldn't even feel guilty about to begin with.