four. destiny has awaken

Start from the beginning

It was safe to say Teddy was horrified to what she'd just witnessed. The snakes hissed, capturing the mouse but Valiant pulled away, playfully, before he let the snakes devour the mouse. Merlin grabbed onto her again, pulling her away from the door, going back the way they came from.

Valiant heard a small noise from his door and drew his sword. He rushed out of the room just as Teddy's eyes glowed red. He came out of the room and walked straight past the two sorcerers and checked down the hall. Once he found nothing he retreated back to his room and closed the door shut.

Teddy stopped her magic as the two became visible again. They glanced at one another before they both began to run back to Gaius' chambers and tell him of what they'd just encountered. 

Merlin tore opened the door, pulling Teddy in, before slamming the door shut. The two completely out of breath as they walked towards the old man.

"We've just seen one of the snakes on Valiant's shield come alive," Merlin shook his head. "He's using magic."

Gaius looked up in worry. "Are you sure?"

"Quite sure, Gaius," Teddy rapidly nodded her head, looking from Merlin to Gaius. "I've just seen a mouse get eaten... alive."

Gaius looked at his apprentice in a worry haze. But Merlin carried on speaking. "Look, Ewan was fighting Valiant when he collapsed. It must've been one of the snakes from the shield," Merlin looked down at the knight. "We have to tell Arthur."

Alarms went off in Teddy's head. "Woah, Merlin, wait a moment."

Gaius rose from his seat. "Yes, Merlin, wait. Is there a chance you both might be mistaken?"

Teddy scoffed in disbelief. "We have magic, Gaius. I'm quite certain that we know what it looks like."

"Perhaps, but do you have any proof?"

Merlin looked at Gaius, heartbroken. "Don't you believe us?"

"I fear you will land yourselves in trouble. Teddy in more trouble." Gaius leaned across the table whilst raising his brow at the empath.

Anger wasn't a familiar emotion with Teddy. Yes, she felt the rather string emotion from other people but herself?... she wasn't an angry person. If you asked anyone to describe her, anger would not be apart of it. Clumsy, passionate, sarcastic might be but certainly not anger.

 "How will you explain why you were in Valiant's chambers?"

"What does that matter?" Merlin asked. "He's using magic to cheat in the tournament."

Gaius stepped towards his Wards. "But you can't go accusing a knight of using magic without proof."

Teddy rubbed her forehead. She knew Gaius was right. They were just a couple servants. "The King would never believe us over a knight, Merlin. We're servants, bottom of the food chain."

Merlin looked at her. "So what we say doesn't account for anything?"

Teddy shook her head. "No."

Merlin had nothing to add as he stormed off to his room.

Gaius sighed looking down at Ewan as Teddy sat down besides him. Dampening the cloth and placing it back onto his forehead. Gaius set off to look for a curse for Ewan whilst Teddy tried to keep him as comfortable as possible. It was going to be a long night.

THE FOLLOWING DAY HAD COME AROUND but unlike the days before that was filled with excitement and joy, today was filled with sorrow and tenseness.