Party Favor

It is the start of a new semester after the break and a disastrous attack on the hotel. Since then, Marinette and Adrien haven't seen anything like a dog-themed hero. As the autumn leaves fall. The two can't say they aren't nervous about who the Kwami will choose. But, right now, there is another reason for someone to panic.

"Wait, your birthday is today?" Nino asks in shock as he looks at Adrien with a surprised and slightly hurt expression, sad that his friend didn't give him a heads up.

The two sit on a bench in the courtyard to kill time since they came to school early.

"Y-yeah, I forgot about it until I checked my calendar this morning. I always found it to be the same as any other day." Adrien tells Nino while rubbing the back of his head.

"Are you serious? A birthday is one of the most important days for someone. It's like celebrating someone's anniversary. My parents love to treat their birthdays as one and always go out on nice dates to celebrate." Nino tells his friend with a grin as he stands up and punches his palm.

"Right, I've got some important work to get done for you after school today," Nino says before walking off.

Adrien watches him leave in shock, not expecting his friend to take this so seriously. Plagg, who decides to hide in Adrien's bag today and join him at school, looks at Nino with a raised eyebrow and smirk.

"Well, there's someone who's not afraid to do what they think is right. Not bad." Plagg nods toward him.

Walking over toward the school, Nate and Marinette are having a conversation of their own.

"So, are you sure you haven't seen anything involving the Kwami yet?" Nate asks his cousin with a worried expression.

"No, Cat Noir and I have been patrolling the streets longer just to try and see if anything has happened yet, but we still haven't seen anything." Marinette groans as she thinks about the hours she spent looking for anything about the recently released Barkk.

"That sucks. Honestly, I'm starting to get antsy myself. I didn't expect releasing another Kwami from the box to be this nerve-wracking." Nate says, showing his concerns about the current situation.

"Right. Hopefully, the person they choose will be a police officer or something." Marinette nods.

"Or Uncle Tom. Can you imagine how cool that would be? A mayor with superpowers, using them to protect the city from threats next to his stepdaughter." Nate says, placing his hands in front of him and moving them to the sides while wiggling his fingers.

There's an awkward pause in the conversation after he says that. Marinette is slightly uncomfortable with one of her parents fighting crime with her, especially Tom. Nate can feel the awkwardness and gives her an apologetic look.

"Sorry about that. I guess I've read too many comic books. I've gotten even more into them since my life became one." Nate tells her to try and get rid of the atmosphere.

It doesn't help much, and the two continue their walk until a third voice speaks up behind them.

"Yo, Marinette!" A female voice shouts behind them.

The two turn around to see Alix waving toward them with Kim and Max behind her.

"Hi, Alix." Marinette smiles and waves toward the shorter girl.

"How were your guys' break?" Max asks them with a smile.

"Pretty good other than the Akuma attack. That still sucked, even if I got to play hero for a little while." Nate groans in annoyance.

"Right. I was having fun working in your family's hotel." Alix nods in annoyance while Kim shrugs.

"Eh, my job was just to stand out front and wait for people to need someone to open the door," Kim shrugs to show his disinterest.