A Contest

Currently, Miss Bustier and her class are in their classroom. However, instead of having a lesson, the group finds themselves with a special guest. Said guest is Mr. Damocles, who is announcing an event coming up tomorrow that catches Marinette and Adrien's attention.

"Tomorrow, the school will host an event for young fashion designers. You only have one day to work on your fashion piece. The fashion piece must be your own design. Tomorrow afternoon after classes, your presentation will be judged by none other than the great fashion designer Gabriel Agreste, the father of our very own student Adrien Agreste." Mr. Damocles announces to the class.

As he tells the class who will be judging the contest, he has a large image of Gabriel Agreste appear on the class board. Nino gives an embarrassed Adrien a smirk and thumbs up while Marinette looks excited at the prospect of having Gabriel Agreste judge her designs. Chloe is smirking while having similar thoughts to Marinette.

"And now, to announce this event's theme." Mr. Damocles states as Gabriel's slide vanishes.

There is a slight pause, with the sound of a drum roll filling the room before the next slide reveals a derby hat.

"The theme is derby hats!" Mr. Damocles announces before the drum roll is replaced with a car horn, causing Mr. Damocles to jump slightly before pulling out his phone with an annoyed expression.

"Oh dang it, I thought I had arranged this properly beforehand." Mr. Damocles mutters as he looks at the sound app he's been using to make the drum roll and car horn sound.

Some of the class snicker at the principal's fumble while Marinette looks at the theme uncertainly. Chloe also reacts badly to this theme if her slightly twitching eye is any indication. The two designers look at each other, and when their eyes meet, Chloe glares at her and gives her a thumbs down. Marinette's eyes narrow back at Chloe for this.

After class, Marinette quickly sits on a bench in the courtyard to go over her her designs. Despite her challenging glare earlier, Marinette is uncertain if she has anything resembling a derby hat design. 

"Derby hat, derby hat, derby hat, derby hat...! How do I not have any derby hat designs? I have top hats, caps, and even two-horned hats! If you need a beret, then come to me. A sombrero? No problemo, because I began experimenting with that last month. However, I have nothing on a derby hat." Marinette groans as she runs through her pages for anything she can use.

As she does this, Nate looks over her shoulder while leaning forward on the back of the bench.

"You have so many designs in there. I'm surprised you don't have any for a derby hat." Nate tells her as he watches her skim through her designs.

Marinette gives him a light glare for that.

"Not helping." She tells him in annoyance, and Nate shrugs.

"Sorry, but look on the bright side. You have a full day to come up with a design. I've seen you be able to make ten full designs in an hour. This shouldn't be too hard for you." Nate compliments her to try and lift her spirits.

Marinette takes a few seconds to calm down and think about Nate's words before nodding in agreement.

"Yeah, yeah, you're right, Nate. This shouldn't be a problem for me. I've spent my entire life designing things. I can handle coming up with a derby hat in a day." Marinette agrees with Nate with a determined smile.

As the two are talking, Nino and Adrien walk up to them, with Nino waving toward them.

"Hey, Dude and Dudette. So, you guys excited about the contest?" Nino casually asks them with a grin