Chapter 25

But an official name was too important for her to decide by herself. He needed a nickname at home, though. Could they call him Bai Gungun? - Pillowbook 1

POVs in this chapter: Bai Qian, Gungun

Wordcount: 5,255

—--------------------------------------------

Heavenly Realm, Jiuchongtian, Xiwu Palace - Changsheng Hall - Midday

Day 3 since Fengjius death

Bai Qian —-------------------------------

Zhe Yan had returned as promised, and he shared the good news that Bai Yi was still improving rapidly, it no longer seemed likely he would become a mindless demonic beast. She in turn shared the news about where Gungun currently was and his reasons for doing so. Zhe Yans only comment was to call Gungun the most mature, responsible, dutiful and brilliant idiot he'd encountered so far.

If Gungun was being made to ascend to High Immortal, then she would be there, and if it looked too dangerous, she would jump in front of the child and undergo the ordeal for him. She had recovered much of her former cultivation from when she'd used most of it to bring back her master sooner, she would survive it.

It appeared Dong Hua really had managed to sever all emotions relating to love, and Fengjiu was gone. Someone had to protect that child, and it might as well be her. She never expected to go from having one child, to four in the span of three years, but fate had strange ways of working.

"I know that look on your face, you are thinking of taking the tribulation for him, dont." Zhe Yan warned

"Why not?" she asked.

"You know that tribulation is far more deadly when it's blocked and taken on someone else's behalf, you are not Mo Yuan, it's not guaranteed you would survive either. Mo Yuan said that there is no greater risk to Gungun undergoing it now or later, and no true risk of that child dying, then that is the truth, he doesn't lie." Zhe Yans words were half explanation, half placation.

"There is still a risk." Bai Qian argued.

"He managed to talk you into allowing him to go alone, for the sake of both his parents and his pride. if you underwent the tribulation for him, you would wound his dignity and self-worth irreparably; he'd never forgive you for it." Zhe Yan stated bluntly.

This was the child that had refused to be 'given' an official name, but had wanted to earn it. He was now ten years old in human terms, yet for the sake of his pride he was still using the childish nickname his mother had given him as a baby. She remembered how useless she'd felt when Mo Yuan had undergone her tribulation for her, she'd been ashamed, and the guilt had never fully left her.

She was about to voice more of her misgivings, but Zhe Yan raised a hand for silence and spoke again.

"He has found the resolve, determination and strength to face the current crisis in his own way. He's always been mature, we should respect his decisions, and admire his resolve and determination to carry the burdens he feels are his to bear." were the words of wisdom from the first phoenix.

Mo Yuan and Zhe Yan were confident that this wasn't a great risk. She didn't have the right to take away Gungun's pride for the sake of her own guilty feelings, she hadn't been able to save Fengjiu, so she wanted to save Fengjius' son in her stead, but that wasn't fair to Gungun. Zhe Yan was right, Gungun would not be relieved, grateful or forgiving if she underwent the trial on his behalf.

There was also the fact that Ye Hua would be ascending the heavenly throne and becoming Tianjun within the next one hundred years, far sooner than they'd hoped. If she took the tribulation for Gungun, she wouldn't be of any help to Ye Hua when he undertook the tribulation of becoming Tianjun. As Ye Huas main consort, she would become Tianhou at that time, and it was tradition for the two to undergo the trial together.