A Girl Called Ruby Jane

Written as a request by @chaennielova, I hope you enjoy! :)

(Chaennie, bullying, physical abuse, fluff--)

—Chaeyoung's pov—

I put one multi-colored sock on, then another. I ran down the stairs excitedly. Today was the first day of my second year in high school. It's gonna be so great not to be a freshman anymore. 

Father was making breakfast, bacon and eggs.

I put an orange and a faux turkey sandwich that I made myself last night in a paper bag. I undid my long, blonde hair from its ponytail, zipping my backpack up after I had put my lunch in there.

"I'm not having breakfast," I sat down at the counter chair, watching my dad flip the bacon.

"How come?" He asked, dodging a small prickle of grease. The crackling was loud, but I had no trouble ignoring it.

"Just because," I answered. I didn't like lying, but my father had butchered the pig for the bacon himself. He hunted all the time, he had a collection of his best rifles in the living room. It would break his heart if I told him that I wanted to be vegetarian.

"Young lady, where do you think you're going with those ugly socks?" Mother came into the room, dressed for work.

I swallowed. My best friend Jiyong (A/N: G-Dragon) had bought these socks for me in the summer, before he had to move for college. "I-I'm going to school."

"Fine. But don't expect to get a ride looking like that." Mother kissed Father on the cheek before sitting down at the kitchen table.

"I guess I'm walking to school," I mutter. I walk out the door, happy for the sunshine and minimal clouds. This was my favorite weather. It was nice to wear my school uniform in weather like this. Wearing it any other time is difficult, considering it was a thin white shirt, a black tie, and a blue skirt.

I'm fourteen, almost fifteen, I say to myself. I can wear whatever socks I want to. As I neared the school, two girls ran up to me.

"Hey, Chaeyoung! Do you still hang out with that hot guy?" One of them, with orange and pink streaks in her blonde hair, asked.

"His name is Jiyong, and he moved," I answered her, Minnie, rolling my eyes.

"Awww," said the other girl, Jihyo.

I walked past them into the school doors. I had memorized my schedule for this year. First class was language arts. Good, something easy, I thought. I sat down at a desk at the front of the class, slinging my backpack down beside me.

"Hey, Chaeyoung," Yeonjun poked me in the arm. Class hadn't started yet. "Did you hear about that new girl?"

"No, what about her?" I ask, unzipping my backpack and getting out my ELA book and pencil.

"She's disobeying the dress code!" He tells me. I nod, uninterested.

A piece of crumpled paper is thrown at my head. I sigh. Without turning around, I know it's Jisoo. I don't even bother to provoke her, I'd just end up with another piece of paper thrown at me.

"Class, we have a new student joining us today," Mrs. Cho clapped her hands together for silence. Someone walked into the classroom and took a seat. The open one right next to me. She wasn't wearing the school uniform required for girls, but rather the one for boys.

She must be who Yeonjun was talking about, I think, looking her over. She had mismatching shoes, and dark brown hair flipped to her right side.

"Everyone, this is Miss Ruby Jane."