•chapter 37•

[ Chapter thirty-seven ]

trail of a thousand tears •

——————————🧟‍♀️—————————-

Numbness that's the only feeling Alessia felt as Casper and her dragged Owen's bloody body away from the prison they once called their home.

Alessia could hear her heart pounding like a drumbeat in her chest. Boom boom boom.

Her mind moving a million miles a minute. Was Ariel okay? Was Daryl alive? What about everyone else? Oh god Hershal...

Alessia could faintly hear the sound of Casper yelling at her to keep going, too just keep fucking moving. Telling Owen to stay with him and not to die.

"Look at cabin come on!" Casper shouted as Alessia and him dragged Owen to the front door.

"Stay here with him, I'll make sure it's clear." Casper spoke sternly.

Alessia's ears were ringing as she held Owen the sounds of his groaning finally snapped Alessia to her senses.

"It'll be okay Owen, just stay with me." Alessia whispered to her best friend.

"It's all clear." Casper stated as he came back outside to help Alessia get Owen inside the abandoned cabin.

"We need to stop the bleeding and get the bullet out." Casper spoke with a rasp of worry in his voice.

"Okay" Alessia breathed out. "Help me with his shirt." Alessia spoke to Casper.

Casper removed a hunting knife from his belt and cut Owen's shirt, exposing his wounded shoulder.

Alessia then took charge, her hands steady despite the adrenaline coursing through her veins. With makeshift tools and a steady hand, she began to work on extracting the bullet from Owen's shoulder. Casper hovered nearby, his worry evident in every tense muscle.

Owen winced as Alessia tried to grab hold of the bullet coursing through his shoulder.

"Stop you're hurting him!" Casper shouted.

"I've almost got it." Alessia reassured.

As Alessia worked, she couldn't help but notice the way Casper's breath hitched with each movement. Alessia focused harder on her task, pushing aside any thoughts of discomfort or unease.

Outside, the wind howled through the trees, adding to the sense of urgency in the small cabin. But inside, there was only the quiet determination of Alessia as she carefully removed the bullet, her brow furrowed in concentration.

Finally, with a soft sigh of relief, Alessia extracted the bullet from Casper's shoulder. Owen rushed to his side, wrapping him in a tight embrace as Alessia leaned back, exhaustion washing over her.

"Thank you" Casper cried in relief. Resting his forehead against Owen's sweaty and bloody one.

"Thank you for not dying today, Owen." Alessia spoke with a smile grabbing one of his large hands tightly in her small ones.