𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟕

It was late night when they arrived at Motel Glen Capri. He didn't need to go out of the bus, looking at it from the windows was enough, Alistair knew the place had something to it, and not in any good sense. There was something wrong with the place, the atmosphere felt thick, it was almost possible to see some kind of spectral fog in the air, giving the place an even creepier feeling.

After connecting eyes with Isaac in a silent agreement, the boy left to take the key to their room. Alistair stayed at the back alongside Lydia, who was paralyzed looking at the motel's entrance.

"I don't like this place," her voice sounded restrained, as if it was difficult to put word to what she felt. Alistair could only frown his brows and nod, agreeing with her statement.

Allison, on the other hand, took Lydia's comment lightly, as a joke, "I don't even think the owners like this place," she looked back at the motel, "it'll only be for one night."

"Anything can happen in one night." Lydia's voice gave Alistair the feeling of a decree, rather than a simple comment. And so, they left to search their rooms.

(...)

Once he found their room, Isaac opened the door smiling at him, shirtless.

He went inside to leave his bag on one of the beds and took out a shirt to change. After taking off the one he was using, he noticed Isaac looking at him, but there was a question in his face, Alistair isn't sure how he knows that but, to him, Isaac was like an open book waiting to be read.

"What?", was all Alistair said, looking to Isaac, then his own bare chest and back to Isaac.

The boy only could sheepishly say, "your shoulder. You never told me how you got that scar", he pointed at it.

Alistair stopped and looked at it, it wasn't small, on the contrary, it was a large and long scar, in fact, there were three, three claw scars, going from his left scapula passing along to the shoulder, ending on his left chest, above the nipple. It was months old now but, looking at it, he still felt the shivering feeling of the cold wind of that night.

While still looking at it, he made an effort to keep an even tone, almost monotone while responding, "it was made by a Barghest, in Britain, a few months ago". He stopped himself before giving away more information of that night. He liked Isaac, like a lot, but still, to admit his failure out loud was something he would avoid for as long as he could. It was an inner fight, he needed to stop the guilt from crumbling his very existence every day and every time he looked at the scar.

Isaac seemed to get the message, the context behind it was personal, for he only nodded, stepping towards him. He reached out and took Alistair's hands, kissing the bruised knuckles and softly saying, "it's ok," he continued to softly rub his thumbs over his hands.

Alistair looked up from the scar towards Isaac's face, there was such a soft expression on his face and held such sincerity in his eyes that he felt like crying, like a child on the verge of losing control of his own emotions. Instead, he took a grounding and calming breath before leaning up to kiss Isaac, who gladly responded.

"Let's get changed". He dragged his nose on Isaac's right cheek, and with a smile, resting his forehead on the side of his head, and finally he stepped away from Isaac to change his clothes.