Chapter 20: Last Truck Ride, Mom, and Antonio

Start from the beginning

---
Gabriela Dawson's POV
---

Shay hangs up as I pull up to the printer store. I walk in and see my mom sitting at the counter. I walk over, put the picture of me and Casey down on the counter, and say, "I need to get two copies of this picture please."
Without looking up she takes the picture and a few minutes later she sets three pictures down. I take one of the copies and hand it back to the woman and say, "Here keep this. It's a picture of my fiancé and me. Since your my mom you should keep one."
I turn around and walk out the door before she can say anything.
I get back in my car and drive to the fire house where the truck crew is standing outside and Otis is waving a video camera. I smile and push past them.
Before I go to change clothes I walk to the Chief's Office. I knock and Bowdan waves me in. I walk in and say, "Chief, I know that you know this is my last shift here. I'd like it to remain between us until I have completed the transfer. Also, I would like you to hand these out when you tell them."
He nods as I hand him a packet of envelopes secured by a rubber band.
He tells me, "It's going to be a shame to lose you, but if this is what you want. I won't stop you. I thought this was about Casey, but you two are back together now. I just wish that you would change your mind."
I smile as he shakes my hand. I walk out and into the commons. I don't see anybody, so I check out on the apparatus floor and again nobody. I head to the debriefing room and open the door to find everyone waiting on me.
"Surprise!" Everyone yells as I walk in.
I'm about to say something when Cruz says, "Ok, before anything else we have the video of Casey and Gabby's proposal, so sit down and watch."
We all sit down and Cruz plays the video. Five minutes later the video ends and Mills rolls in a cake.
Herman stands up and says, "Before we do anything else I would like to make a toast to Matt and Gabby.
Congrats guys, you two are going to make the perfect couple. I also want to point out that you kids are going to be awesome, especially working in the same fire house."
I smile a little nervously, and Casey and I walk over to the cake. Mills hands me a knife and Casey and I cut a piece off. I use my fork and cut a smaller piece off of the piece we had already cut. At the same time we feed each other a bite of cake and then wipe our mouths. Casey kisses me and then the bells go off, "Squad 3, Truck 81, Ambulance 61, and Battalion 25 structure fire at 59078 Norman Street."
I run out to the truck and pull on my turn out gear. I get in the truck as everyone piles in. On our way I say, "This just might be the last time I sit in this seat."
As soon as I say it Herman says, "Yeah it might be the last time any of us sit in these seats, Dawson. What's gotten into you lately?"
"I just hope we have a busy day, so I have more time with you guys." I say.
Then Otis says, "Dawson, tell us what's going on. You can trust us."
I take a deep breath and say, "I'm fine and I trust you guys, but you will find out soon enough. Just know I would value a female firefighter while you have her."
"Wait, you aren't pregnant are you? I bet that's why Casey hasn't said anything yet." Cruz asks.
I shake my head and say, "No, just focus and forget what I said. I'm fine guys."
Then Casey says, "They need to know, Dawson."
I nod and reply, "They will know soon enough."
As I say this we pull up to the scene.
"Ok, let's go. Herman, Dawson, with me. Mouch, Otis, Cruz, be ready to start pumping as soon as I give the command. Chief, we're ready to go in."
The chief nods and we head in.
I start searching and find three men unconscious on the floor. I get to the first and see that it's Antonio.
"Herman, Casey, got three men over here. At least one police officer." I say as I start to pick up Antonio. Herman grabs Antonio's feet as Severide, Capp, and Cruz come in to help with the other two.
Herman and I get Antonio out to the stretcher and Shay and Mills start assessing him.
I hear Chief call to main for two more ambos but I watch as Mills takes Antonio's pulse then looks up at Shay. He shakes his head and I drop down beside them and pull my gloves off I start compressions as Herman try's to pull me back. I keep going as Mills puts the monitor on him and Shay reaches for a bag. After Mills gets the monitor on we get a pulse. Mills and Shay load him and I go to get in with them, but Casey grabs my hand and says, "Gabby, we'll drive you."
I shake my head and get in. I start doing a trauma assessment as Mills bags. I rip open his shirt and see a gun shot wound in his abdomen.
"Guys, we've got a problem. Gun shot wound to the abdomen, through and through. Mills hand me something to stop this bleeding, anything you can reach." I say.
Mills reaches behind him and hands me a stack of gauze pads. I open them and quickly start putting them on. When I finish that I hold pressure on and we arrive at the hospital.
Shay comes around and opens the back doors. "1...2...3... Lift." She says. We rush him into the hospital as Shay gives them information.
I stand there as the nurses and doctors take over and wheel him into ICU. A few minutes later a nurse comes out and says, "The man you three brought in a few minutes ago. He's already stable. It was a through and through wound, no fragments, and he is already awake. He said to tell his sister to go back to work that he was fine."
I nod as Shay says, "Thank you."
The nurse nods and walks off. "Pretty good for a firefighter." Shay says as she turns to me. I smile and walk with Shay out to the ambulance. A few minutes later Mills comes out with the stretcher. Him and Shay load it up as I feel out the paperwork. I take it in then come out, and we head back to the fire house...