5. The Headquarters

Start from the beginning

"You all right?" the captain asked when I wasn't moving.

"Sorry... Sorry..." I muttered and took a few more steps away from the door while he watched me carefully. "I'm... I'm..."

"It's our pheromones," he guessed, sounding surprised.

"It's fine, I'm... They're just... Quite strong here," I carefully admitted, hating the fact that I had to, but I couldn't start my time here with a lie.

"So you still react to our pheromones?" he said.

"...Yes. But I'll get used to it, sir. It just caught me off guard, that's all."

He squinted his eyes lightly at my words. Fuck. Like he wasn't already listing my cons without having seen any pros yet.

"So there's a chance you'll freeze out on the battlefield because of our pheromones?" he asked, crossing his arms.

I should've lied... Now I couldn't take it back. I couldn't say it would never happen again because it already happened right in front of his eyes.

"It's possible, yes," I said quietly. "In small, confined areas with several strong alphas."

He nodded slowly. "We'll see what we can do about it. Come. You'll get to meet the guys."

"Sir?" I muttered with a frown.

"Hmm?"

"That's... You...?" I decided to shut up in case I'd make my situation worse. "Sorry, yes, of course..."

"We'll see what we can do about it," he repeated, giving me a friendly smile. "I don't avoid problems. I fix them."

I stared at him, then nodded. "Thank you, sir."

"Come on then. They've probably heard us by now," he said, and continued walking.

I let out a quiet sigh of relief, then glanced around hastily. We stood in a large entrance hall that continued through the entire building as a wide hallway with a few large rooms on the left, separated from each other by windowed walls. On my right was a single door, much heavier than the rest, with a sign that told me it was the equipment storage. The captain was heading towards a staircase further down the hallway on our right.

I hurried after him, hastily peering into the large rooms through the windows. The closest was a briefing room, with a long table and plenty of chairs around it. The room behind that had several computers, but I didn't have time to take a closer look before reaching the staircase.

I followed the captain up the stairs that led straight into a very large living room with a large couch, several armchairs, a big TV, and a few bookcases that were used to collect dust, apparently. Black leather and polished iron ruled the decor, and there wasn't a single carpet, curtain, or a flower in sight.

Alphas...

To the left and behind us was a kitchen, just as big with black cabinets and modern equipment, and several round tables with chairs by the windows. Not the cleanest kitchen I had seen, no.

But there sat a couple of older men, staring at us without blinking. At me, more specifically.

"Boys..." Captain Hale said, gesturing for them to join us in the living room. "Where's everyone else? I have a little something to tell you."

"Something, huh?" repeated the other one of them, a man the size of a fucking mountain, glancing at my bags as they approached us. "Doesn't seem that little."

The captain turned to look down a long hallway on our right and whistled loudly. "Attention!"

In seconds, several doors opened, and in a few seconds more, I was surrounded by alphas, all giving me curious looks. The scent... Fuck me... Elite soldiers... Their pheromones were unbelievably strong... I quickly forced myself back in line.