The driver's shoulders slump forward slightly as Mother's door is opened. I wait for the attendant to open mine, and once he does, I quickly step out into the cool night air. The car's windows are so dark, my reflection is clear as day. I'm a doll in this dress, with its puffy skirt and expensive velvety fabric—on a string my mother controls. Just like the cold interior of our car, the exterior is just as worst. The BioGENEtics complex is only miles of cement, lacking any character or some kind of installation piece that would give life to this concrete world.

During our trip over, I read about this place, something I do for all events we're attending. From what I quickly gathered, BioGENEtics is a privately-owned, state of the art, health facility that specializes in curing illnesses by using nature-based methods. Plants, fungi—anything our planet brings to the table. Most of society mocked them as hippie, vegan warriors, until they created a cure for Alzheimer's using a concoction of fungi and medicine already available. Now, they are one of the leading health organizations in the country.

Once we step inside the complex things finally get interesting. It's hard to reign in my emotions. The beauty of the atrium is so beyond imagination, I can barely comprehend it. For a second, I thought I stepped into Akane. It's the polar opposite to the jungle outside.

Large vines wrap around the interior structure, climbing to the skylight ceiling. Flowers and fungi of every color scatter across the vines, so vivid and mesmerizing, they bloom in all shapes and sizes. Some are even bigger than my own head. As my heels tap over the marble flooring a few follow my footsteps like they're watching my every move. They can't possibly be real. What's so bizarre is the lack of scent. I'd imagine floral and rain... but there's nothing, except for a hint of bleach.

We're guided past the security scanners and into an open room full of people mingling and drinking from their flute champagne. A circle stage is stationed in the middle, spot lights illuminating a pedestal covered in fabric and a well-tailored man, his red hair a flame among the rich and greedy. He claps his hands once and the surrounding lights dim. Mother hands me a flute wine as the laughter and chatter gradually seize into silence.

The man's smile is so bright, he's like a giddy kid unwrapping his favorite toy at Christmas. It's hard not to roll my eyes. How many times have I been to these kinds of events? How many times have I been unimpressed? Another miracle drug? Another youth serum that will be this year's trend? How many more do I have to endure until we're done?

"Thank you for coming." He snaps his fingers; screens turn on all at once, circling the room above our heads, a close up of the pedestal for his guests to get an eye-full. "I understand everyone has busy schedules, so we'll get straight to the point." Mother tsks at this, not flattered by his blunt approach. "We have been working on this project for five years. It has taken many dedicated scientists, countless hours, and your generous donations to accomplish this—"

He unveils the project. A silver canister sits there, bland of any logos or labeling, it could be sunscreen lotion for all I know. He reaches down, and when I think he's going to open it, he picks up a knife. Light gleams off the sharp blade. The man rolls up his left sleeve, and I can't help but admire the way his firm muscles flex.

Without a second thought, he cuts the knife down his arm.

Dark blood oozes out of his body and pools near his expense leather derbies, being careful to step away when it gets too close. Typical rich, more worried about their clothes and appearance, than the life-threatening wound he inflicted.

Some people gasp, there's a commotion of glass breaking and chatter it echoes in my mind. I squeeze my drink close. Mother doesn't even flinch. Her smile's tight as if she's scrutinizing this season's runway dresses. She even has the gall to take a sip of her drink. What the hell kind of demonstration did Mother bring me to? Is this guy insane!