Hoops-A-Rooney

My friend lived in Steven's Point, Wisconsin. She always talked about how wonderful it was. How the famous Rooneys lived there. I didn't really care, but she said living there would help with my acting and further my scientific education.

Thankfully, there was a house for rent near her when we got evicted for being there too long. So, the paperwork was set up. We would move to Steven's Point, Wisconsin in the middle of the school year.

I walked down the stairs of Ridgewood High. I was taking robotics classes there, and they were really interesting. All I needed was a partner for the project. And I didn't like most of the guys there. I was only twelve.

"Hey."

I turned around. An awkward boy with glasses and a button-up shirt looked at me. "I'm sorry, but my brother stole my robotics partner from me. Do you mind being my partner?"

"This is only curiosity. Who is your brother?" I asked.

"The little guy over there." Parker. He was kinda funny.

"Sure." I nodded with a small smile.

~~~

Joey and I worked at the dining room table while Parker and Alex worked at the table. Joey walked over to Parker and placed pictures on the table. I didn't want to look. I wasn't paying attention as music blasted through my headphones and I was hyperfocusing on the project.

Alex walked out of the kitchen, stopping in her tracks. I didn't see the appeal of Joey. Parker stood in the entrance, watching me for a moment before returning to his project. I glanced at the doorway before realizing he wasn't there and continued to work.

~~~

As I walked down the hallway, Joey strutted into the school with pure confidence. The suit made him really cocky. Alex was his target, so he pulled Parker out of the way and dipped her. I quickly caught Parker, knowing he was going to fall if I didn't.

"Nice reflex." Parker breathed a sigh of relief. "(Y/n), right?"

"Yep. Parker?" I asked.

"The one and only." Parker smiled. Parker looked over at Joey. "Well, there goes my partner."

"I'm pretty sure Joey won't mind if I take over your project and Alex takes over ours," I reasoned.

Parker smiled at me. I smiled back softly. Maybe he won't be a slacker like Joey.

~~~

Parker held a thread of Joey's suit as the teenager walked down the hallway. I raised an eyebrow, crossing my arms as Joey continued. His entire back ripped off, making me put a hand on Parker's shoulders to catch me from falling from laughter.

"And so does the rest of the school!" Parker exclaimed.

"You ruined my magic suit!" Joey snapped.

"Hey, you started this tush war!" Parker retorted.

Alex looked at me. I nodded and we walked off, already discussing how we would do it.