Chapter 25: Hungry Eyes

A/N: Hey guys, I'm gonna proof-read this chapter tomorrow (or today, because it's 2 AM), but I can't wait with publishing anymore >.< I basically wrote three chapters today, which are this one and two flashbacks, which will make two chapters. I actually like working on scenes I don't need to publish right away, depending on my mood. Well, the other chapters I wrote today will be quite intense, but I won't tell you in which way I mean it—

Anyway, I'm talking too much. Good night.

"That was good!"

I leaned back in my chair, sighing. "I might have a belly now, but at least I'm not hungry." Johan laughed. "I don't know what you mean. Well, shall we hit the dance floor?" "Give me a minute, I answered. "When I dance directly after eating, I always get a stomachache. Let's just watch the others."

There was a short pause. It's been about two hours since we came here and I'd met so many people I knew from university - it was great to see them again. I kind of missed my student life already. Eventually, I turned to Johan, who sat opposite to me. 

"How do you like the party for far?"

"It's entertaining", he replied. "It's been a while since I've been on a party. I enjoy it." He glanced at me. "And you?"

"Me too! I love my job, but getting away sometimes clears one's mind. I'm glad you came with me." He just looked at me, not saying anything, but he didn't have to. I understood.

I liked this trait of his, being quiet. He didn't sugarcoat and lull me, telling me thousands of meaningless words. Johan stood up. "I'll bring our plates away." "Oh, thank you." He smiled and left the table with our dishes. That moment, Theresa, Gabi and some other acquaintances appeared in front of me. "Hey guys", I said, astonished.

"Oh my goodness, Klara. He's perfect."

Theresa came close to my face. "And you're not together?"

"I've known him for two months, Theresa. I don't want to be delusional."

"So far, he seems like husband material. Isn't that what you want?"

"I won't rush it", I replied as everyone else stared at me curiously. I took a sip of my drink, then placed it on the table.

"Though he's already way better than Erik, if I may compare them."

"Well", said Gabi, "that doesn't mean anything. It's not hard to be better than him, if you ask me."

Theresa crossed her arms. "After everything that happened, I'm certain Erik would make a good comedian."

Gabi stared at Theresa as if she had found out something suddenly. "Perhaps his words back then were just satire and we didn't notice! I guess he's too smart for us."

Another girl shrugged. "Well, he studied architecture. He must have something in his brain."

I finally spoke up. "Remember when I brought him over here at our Princes and Princesses Party?"

Johan came back. I didn't notice.

"Back then, he told me that he would never lie to me, and he'd rather die than hurting me-"

"AAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!"

We all laughed together, sounding like cackling hens. "I wonder if he believed himself", said Theresa, still cracking up. I shrugged. "Maybe he's got a split personality and his bad side suddenly took over him-" I turned around, facing Johan. "Oh, you're back." He tilted his head. "I'm afraid I missed your conversation. What was the commotion all about?" "Oh, it doesn't matter. Just some jokes about old acquaintances." "Well, I'm glad, then." He put his hat back on his head, walked around my chair. "There's something I haven't asked you earlier." He reached out his hand. "May I have this dance?"

I froze, my heart beating fast. All the other girls were close to squeaking, looking at me excitedly, waiting for my answer. "Y-Yes." I took his hand and we left the group, going to the dance floor. Damn, he managed to make me lose myself - in a good way. He even asked me in front of the whole group. When we arrived, he intertwined our hands, laying his other hand on my waist. I put my free hand on his shoulder, overwhelmed by my own emotions and his touch.

"I've been meaning to tell you
I've got this feeling that won't subside
I look at you and I fantasize
You're mine tonight

Now I've got you in my sights
With these—"

I averted my gaze. I must have blushed so hard and was scared I'd twist my ankle out of nervousness.
"Look at me."
I looked up to Johan. He was holding me tight, giving me a warm, reassuring smile. I couldn't help but smile back, staring into his pretty, blue eyes.

"Hungry eyes

One look at you and I can't disguise, I've got 

Hungry eyes

I feel the magic between you and I"

That was a moment I'd never forget. Dancing in his arms, losing myself in his eyes, feeling his pure affection - it was perfect, feeling like an eternity. I couldn't deny my feelings anymore. Every time I looked at him, I felt my blood pulsing through my body, and when he wasn't around, I couldn't wait to see him again. He made me feel safe and cared for. He didn't pressure me into anything. He was careful and honest, though I had the feeling that there might be more to his past - after all, he used to work for Schuwald, was shot in the head twice and confirmed that he was somewhat criminal in the past - and to be frank, I didn't know how to deal with this information yet. But it didn't change my love for him. I wanted him, even if that was naive. I wanted him by my side, someone who didn't play with me or tried to manipulate me. I looked at his lips, thinking whether this was the right moment or not. But Johan didn't seem to want the same, and also, his hat was in the way. I sighed. I shouldn't rush into anything, I knew that. But who could resist such a man? 

The song ended and we left to get something to drink. He handed me over my drink and we raised our glasses. "To us!", I said, grinning. Johan chuckled. "To us."