Chapter 13: "Klara, are you okay?"

After our call ended, I warmed over the soup Johan had made for me. For his first time making Borscht, it was surprisingly good. As I stood in the kitchen, I could see my reflection in the window. My hair was tied up in a bun, but it was obvious I hadn't showered in one and a half days. I sighed. Even if I felt horrible right now, I had to take a shower today.

After preparing everything, I went back to bed. I had told Johan on the phone that my door was open, because just standing up and moving my head was painful. From my bed, I looked out of the window - it was raining, but not as much as yesterday. I could see small blossoms on the trees in front of the building. Soon, it will be warm again. It's almost April.

Then, I heard the door opening. I didn't turn my head, but I listened to the footsteps, slow and calm.

"How are you feeling, Klara?"

Johan came over to my side of the bed, standing in front of me.

"Slightly better." Slowly, I sat upright. "We can eat already, if you want to." I saw him put his car keys in his pocket. "Did you come here by car?", I asked, surprised. "Yes. I came back from Hamburg just now." He walked around my bed, towards my bedroom door. "By the way, I also brought back your bike. I parked it in the cellar." Before I could say anything, he continued. "I'll go prepare everything for lunch."

I looked after him as he went into the kitchen. He was being so considerate, though he surely had so much else on his mind. I stood up and followed him.

We sat down at the table, sitting opposite to each other. "I hope I did a good job making the soup", said Johan. "Did you like it?" "Yes, it's very good. Especially for your first time." He smiled. "I'm glad to hear that. Next time, you can show me your recipe." "Gladly. You will love it without a doubt. It's the recipe from my grandma, the great Elena Krupina!" A chuckle left Johan's mouth. "I'll look forward to it."

All of a sudden, everything was as it used to be. Even if he ended our friendship before, he acted as usual today, which had me relieved. If he had something against me, he would avoid me, right? Or he was just playing with me, but for some reason, I didn't believe that.

Now, there was silence between us. We were just eating, enjoying the food. But it was not an awkward silence. I looked at Johan. He was eating, calm and probably thinking about something. His eyes were focused on the table, and I think he didn't notice me looking at him. I tilted my head. Before, when we talked on the phone, he sounded kinda out of breath, and a little chaotic, actually. Somehow, I was happy I caught him off guard, because I doubted he was like that around most people.

"What are you thinking about, Klara?"

I looked into his eyes. Now it was me who was caught off guard. "N-Nothing!" I smiled awkwardly. "Just about... that I should take a shower."

IDIOT! Why did you say that?

I could feel my blood rushing into my cheeks, avoiding his gaze. He was not saying anything. The silence made me more nervous every second.

Suddenly, he chuckled.

I stared at him, my jaw dropping. "What is so funny about that?"

He waved with his hand. "Forgive me. Your facial expression is priceless."

Why was I so embarrassing? Especially in front of him? I placed my cutlery on the table and stood up. "Anyway, I'm gonna take a shower. Thank you for the food." I think he wanted to say something, but I hurried to my room before he could, grabbing new clothing and locked myself in the bathroom.

"... Is she okay?"