Chapter 10: Lay it all on me

Though I had a terrible hangover, I still remembered last night very quickly - unfortunately. I walked into the bathroom and looked at myself. I had dark eye bags, my eyes were red and I was pale - and I could see that despite my heavy make up. I wanted to go back to sleep, but today was the last Friday of the month - which meant that today was the monthly assembly with all classes of our school. Mrs Weber and I were responsible for organising it, so I couldn't call in sick today. Plus, I had been ill right after Christmas break, and if I would be missing today, Mrs. Müller would assume I wanted to take one extra holiday.

"Damn it..."

I looked miserable. Eventually, I bowed down to wash my face, but a tremendous headache hit me, and I almost fell to the ground. I was hearing even worse than before, and my nose was totally stuffed. It's the last day before spring break... you'll survive, I thought.

When I opened the curtains, I saw pouring rain. It was probably cold as well... I changed my clothing, freshened up a bit and left the apartment. On my way to work, I had the feeling that my e-bike battery wasn't working as usual, but I thought it was just my sickness which made me feel that way.

"Good morning, everyone." I entered the teacher's room. Mrs. Weber stared at me. "Mrs. Krupin, you look horrible!" I sat down. "You're right. But I have a short day anyway, so..."

I looked to my right. Annika wasn't here today, unfortunately. Friday was her day off, and I wished I could've talked to her. I opened my bag and took my folder. "Let's go through today's plan for the assembly. The 4c wants to present a dance today, and the 2a made posters about different animals. I thought we could put the 4a at the bottom of the list and start with the more calm presentations, if that's fine with you." "Yes, it's a good idea. Thank you for preparing the schedule. If you like, I can take over the talking today." "That would be nice. Thank you."

Mrs. Weber kept her promise and took over the role as the host. I stood next to her and was relieved that I didn't have to talk, but I was overwhelmed from just standing on the stage. Luckily, the children were busy watching the presentations and performances, so they didn't notice me struggling. When most of the presentations were over, I used the time between the slots and went to the bathroom.

Quickly, I closed the door behind me, went into one of the stalls and hurled into the toilet. I hadn't felt this terrible in a long time. My arm was resting on the wall in front of me as I kept gagging. Disgusting, I thought, closing my eyes to make the headache go away. After a couple of minutes, I went back to the main room and looked in the mirror. And I looked away immediately at the sight, washing my hands and face. My memories of last night were incomplete, but I generally knew what had happened. I had gone to the bar and gotten drunk, poured my heart out to someone - but who was it? The image inside my head was blurry. I couldn't remember who he was, but there was something familiar about him. More importantly, it didn't matter at all right now. Looking back, I couldn't believe I escalated this much just because someone - basically a stranger - decided he would walk out of my life. I was never the type to go to bars to compensate. I took a paper towel, wiped my nose and left the restroom.

The assembly was over and the rain was still pouring. Luckily, I could go home now, and I left the building as soon as possible without saying goodbye to anyone. I wanted to be alone.

But as I was biking home in the cold rain, shivering, I noticed something early on. My battery wasn't working anymore. It hadn't been my imagination. I stopped the bike and stood there, thinking. That couldn't be, right? In the morning, right after sleeping, I was able to go to work somehow, but now, after work, my bike was too heavy for my shaky legs... "No, no, no..." I had trouble holding the handlebar, and my hands were trembling in the cold. My head was aching, I couldn't keep my eyes open. I had no choice but to walk my bike home. Carefully, I started putting one foot in front of another. The next moment, I heard a car coming closer, and a huge puddle next to me. Great, now I'm gonna be more soggy than I'm already am.

But the car stopped. For a moment, I didn't know what was happening, but I could see someone leaning towards the silver passenger door. And then, it opened.

"Klara?"

It was Johan. Slowly, to avoid the pain, I turned my head to the left. But it hit me again, and I closed my eyes in pain.

"You're soaked, Klara. Let me drive you home."

I wanted to shake my head, but I couldn't because of my sickness. Instead, I didn't say anything.

"You're terribly sick. Let me just give you a ride."

I considered it for a moment. "... What about my bike?"

"Just leave it here at the library. You can come pick it up later."

I did as he said. I parked it at the library next to us and walked towards his car. Then, I took off my jacket. "What are you doing?", he asked. "Shaking off my jacket. It's wet." "Stop that and get inside." His face was expressionless, but there was determination in his voice. Slightly surprised, I folded my jacket and sat in the passenger's seat.

"Hauptstrasse, right?", he asked quietly. "Yes", I replied, looking towards the ground, coughing. "We'll be there in three minutes."

None of us were walking during the ride. There was nothing to talk about, and I didn't want to say anything because my throat was hurting enough already.

After a couple of minutes, he parked his car and went out. For a moment, I leaned back my head, closing my eyes. He opened the door on my side, talking the jacket from my lap and my bag. Then, he reached his hand out to me. Thanking him, I took his hand and he pulled me onto my feet.

"Which floor is your apartment on?"

"Second floor." If I had been able to, I would've taken my things out of his hands and gone upstairs alone, but I knew I wouldn't have made it. He supported me as we went into the building. I tried to go up the stairs quickly not to waste his time. "Ow!" I held my hand towards my head, standing still for a moment. "Slowly", Johan said. "Don't rush it."

Why was I with him again? I didn't want to see him, but at the same time, I wanted to. But he didn't want to - right? I wasn't able to think straight anymore. Eventually, I was relieved he had helped me.

We reached my door. "Where is your key?" "The left pocket of my jacket", I mumbled. He opened the pocket and took the key, then opened my door. Slowly, we went inside. He led me to the sofa in the living room, supporting me as he let me lie down onto it. "Slowly", he repeated, noticing I wanted to rush it again. When I was finally able to rest my head, the tension dissolved quite a bit, and I took a deep breath. "Relax." Johan took a look around the room, then took the blanket he found and walked towards me. My head was spinning, and I could only see him blurred. "I..." His eyes slightly widened when I spoke up with my broken voice. I laid my arm onto my head, covering my eyes. "I don't know how I was able to get through today..." I couldn't keep it in anymore. I felt a tear rolling down my cheek. My head hurt terribly.

"Take your time to rest, Klara. You probably have a temperature, and a hangover." I could feel how he put the blanket on me. My head was so clouded that I didn't even wonder how he knew about my hangover.

Hangover? Right.

"Right... This man..."

"What man?", Johan asked carefully, hesitant.

"I burdened him with my issues. He was still... so nice to me... So familiar..."

My eyes were closing completely.

"He looked just like Erik..."

"Who is Erik?"

I lost control. Everything faded to black.