Chapter 4 Stella

Începe de la început

Nate starts towards us, pulling his belt out of the loops. I force Lamar to stand behind me, he tries to get around me just before I push him back and as the belt wraps around my wrist. My skin stings from the impact, I yank the belt from Nate's grip, I hold the buckle in my hand, pull my arm back, but Lamar stops me. He takes the belt from me, seconds later, a red streak rushes over Nate's face. Nate lunges at Lamar only to be thrown back, off of his feet. Lamar kicks him, Nate cries out. A few men move towards them, only to step back out of fear as Lamar kicks Nate again. Nate screams, calling for Lamar to stop. Lamar kicks him one last time before returning to my side.

Angelina sends men to aid Nate as she starts towards us, a knife in her hand. Lamar grabs my arm and guides me behind him, I get around him, slipping my knife out of the waistband of my pants. Angelina stands only inches from Lamar, whispering words to him so I can't hear. I notice that the knife is gone, she grabs Lamar's hand, and pressing something to his palm, then closes his hand around it. She walks away and immediately, he slips the object into his pocket where the gun used to be.

"Your weapons will be returned," Angelina says. "But we will be joining your group. You will remain leader, although, I will become second in charge, and whoever else was in the line up."

"No," Lamar says. "You can join our group, but, because I will continue with my position as leader, I choose who is second and third in charge."

"Go ahead."

"Stella will remain second in charge," Lamar says. "And you will be third."

"No," Angelina says. "She can be third, I will be second."

"Either she is second, or the deal is off."

"You can't turn down this deal, we know where your going, if you don't do this, members of your group will be killed off."

He hesitates before turning his head to look down at me.

"You have no other choice," I whisper. "We have to take this."

He nods. "You're still second in charge." I smile. He turns back to the factionless. "Fine," he says. "You will join our group until we reach the gate. I will remain leader of both groups. Stella will not be treated like she's not there."

"What is the rest of your group doing at the moment?" Angelina asks.

"Resting."

"Why?" A voice that I have never heard asks.

"Are we leaving later or something?" Angelina says.

"No! We have to leave now!" The voice calls. "We need to get there while it's dark!"

"We are resting now, waiting until somewhere close to dusk, once we have eaten, slept a little, and are ready, we will head towards the gate again," Lamar says. This was my plan.

"That's not a bad idea," the voice says. "Great job, Polar!"

"It wasn't my idea," Lamar says. "It was her's." He nudges me with his elbow.

"Erm," the voice says. "What's her last name?"

"Thorn," another voice says.

"Great job, Thorn!" The first voice says. "She should be our second in charge!"

"Pipe down, Randal," Angelina says. "You're drawing too much attention to yourself."

I turn on my heel and leave, I can't stand being around her any longer. I walk back towards the group, they have all found one big tree for all of us to sleep under. Alice, Faith, and Grace are all asleep, Anthony and Adrian are having a quiet conversation, careful not to wake the others. I look over my shoulder to that Lamar followed me, and the factionless followed him. He turns to them to give them orders, they turn around and all sit down a few trees away. The fence is still clear in my vision, a few details jumping into my sight.