11. Declaration

Rene and I were left alone. The sun was setting, and the room had only dim lights on. People thought I needed to rest. I didn't mind the peace and quiet, and especially the alone time with my boy, but rest wasn't an option. Not after everything I'd just heard.

Jomica... Now that was a name I hadn't paid any mind in... ten years? Part of me didn't quite believe they were back. I didn't want to. But Captain Hale was right. It was impossible to eliminate them all. And Jomica was still holding the title of the worst True Order terrorist organization in our entire country. It had roots everywhere. Of course they would try to make a comeback. And if the rumors were true...

If Ruben Campbell was still alive...

I peered at my fated mate, who lay in my arms, unable to sleep, slowly caressing my chest. My baby boy... What a twist... I couldn't even wrap my head around it. When he said his family was dead... I never could've guessed this was the past he was talking about. I'd thought his family had fallen victims to True Order, not that his family was the worst of True Order, slain by...

Right... Ruben Campbell's worst enemy. The army dog that spent years hunting him down, killing his men and associates, and stopping their plans. The man who eventually shot Campbell twice, forcing the entire Jomica – or what was left of it – into hiding.

Captain Tom Hale. The hero of our people.

Now... could I still trust the captain? I had the son of Campbell in my arms, the son of the very man Hale hated the most in this world. I was willing to say yes. He could've taken Rene from me when I was out. He could've taken him from me easily after learning his real name. But he didn't. He also knew I would be far from helpful if he took my mate from me.

And if the rumors were true, he, too, was protecting someone who used to belong to Campbell.

"You all right, baby boy?" I asked, slowly caressing his arm.

"I... don't know..." he whispered back.

"Oh, my sweet baby... It's been a rough couple of days, but you were so brave. I'm so proud of you, my darling boy..." I muttered and kissed his temple.

"What if they try again...?" he whispered, shivering.

"Baby... You have nothing to worry about. I'll protect you," I promised. "They can't get to you."

"It's you I'm worried about," he said, his hand moving a little closer to my shredded side. "I can't lose you."

"And you won't," I said. "Now that we know we're being targeted, they can't surprise us ever again."

"But they wouldn't be after you if–"

"No, baby, don't go there. You're my mate, my soulbound. You're mine to protect. And killing terrorists is a dear hobby of mine. This is my city. I'm the number one evil here now. Even if I'd never met you, I'd still be out there, hunting them," I told him.

"But you wanted to retire," he said.

"Or I could stay and make sure everyone will remember me as the mafioso even Jomica was afraid of," I said. "Now that would be a suitable way for me to retire."

"Well... I guess it's good to have goals in life," he muttered, making me laugh.

I moved a little so I could see his beautiful face. He looked up at me, our eyes meeting. I smiled at him and kissed his forehead.

"We'll be fine. We even have the army watching our back now," I told him.

He didn't say anything. He rested his head back down and hugged me tighter, his entire body curling around me.