Mera Fesalah

Everyone is sat at the dining table which is full of different types of foods. Haleem, Kebabs, Biryani, Pasta, Wings. It was all spread out on the table in the middle.

Ma begum sat down first and everyone followed after.

'Aaj mein ne tumhare pasand ka banwaya hai' Ma begum smiled at Meerab as she too looked over at the presentation infront. (today I made your favs)

Meerab awkwardly smiled, 'shukriya magar iski zaroorat nahi ti' (thanks but you didn't have to do this)

The table was set in the usual way of whenever she came over. Ma Begum at the head of the table with Anwar on the right and Murtasim on the left. Waqas and Anila sat on the right also and Mariam and Haya sat next to Murtasim with Meerab across Mariam next to Anila.

The maids went around the table and put food on everyones plate. 

After a few moments of utensils clattering Ma Begum spoke up, 'Murtasim, aaj Meerub ki saalghirah hai' (Its meerubs bday). 

Both Murtasim's and Meerabs head rose as they made eye contact. His eyes said something but what? she questioned herself like this every time she met him. 

'Pattah hai' Murtasim murmured as broke the eye contact and went back to his food. (I know)

'kya Matlab pata hai, usko wish karo aur iske liye gift lai ho?' Ma Begum questioned in a demanding tone which made Murtasim put his utensils down and turn to her. (what do you mean you know, wish her happy bday and did you bring her a gift?)

Meerab watched and listened to the interaction in front. She too put her utensils down. 

'Ma, iske liye kya gift lou, iske paas to sab kuch hai.' He pointed slightly at meerab with his hand. (what shall I give her, she already has everything)

Meerab huffed. She didn't even know what she expected. She didn't need a gift from him but his rudeness annoyed her. 

'gifts zaroorat ke nahi hote, pyaar aur mohabbat ki wajah se diye jaate hai' Ma Begum explained to him slowly as he just looked down at his plate fed up with hearing about meerab. (you don't give gifts because of needs, you give it because of love)

'Ma begum isko kya pata pyaar ka, isse pooche isko pyaar ka Matlab bhi aata hai. Har waqt toh ghusse mein rehta hai' Meerab questioned as Murtasim lifted his head in annoyance at her disrespect. 

Anila nudged meerab to be quiet but she just scowled at her mom. 

Ma Begum chuckled amusingly and held murtsims hand, 'jab biwi ai ghi to khud hi ghussa katam ho jay gha' (when he gets a wife, his anger will go away aswell) and she turned to meerab. 

Murtasim groaned in discomfort of the topic of marriage and meerab smiled seeing his distraught self. 

'isse kaun shaadi kare gha' (whos going to marry him?) meerab muttered under her breath but he heard it and glared at her and she tried not to look away from the intense eye contact. 

Silence once again came and only the sounds of the utensils could once again be heard until Meerab remembered something important.

Meerab turned to Anila and whispered in her ear which earned a tut from Ma Begum as she found it rude to be whispering on a table full of people. 

Meerab unfortunately got a 'wait' gesture from her mom and she just slouched back onto the chair no longer wanting to eat her food. 

She turned to the side to find Murtasim narrowing his eyes at her for a second before returning back to his food. 

What's his problem with staring at me again and again. She huffed in tiredness. 

...

Mariam and Haya had gone to bed and only Meerab, her parents, Anwar chacha, Murtasim were awake in the living room.