1. The assignment

My eyes focus on the clock sitting on my bedside table. April 22nd, 2090. 6:50 a.m. Fuckkkkkk. I'm late. I'm late. I'm late!

The most important day for me to be at work early and i'm fucking late. My meeting starts in an hour, I can make it on time if I leave the house in 15 minutes and jog to work.

The sun is beaming into my apartment as I jump out of bed. Normally the sun doesn't begin to rise until I'm about to leave the house, just another reminder of how late I am.

My outfit hangs on my closet door. I picked it out last night after I tossed and turned in bed when I couldn't fall asleep. My fingers work fast to close the six buttons on the side of my black slacks before shoving the matching long sleeve top into the high waist.

"Be here early tomorrow, Shiloh, we've got something to discuss," my boss had said right before he left the office for the day.

In a matter of 10 seconds every good and bad possibility for what that meeting could be about crossed my mind.

My cat meows as she passes through my legs. "Sorry Jupiter, I'll feed you in a minute." She gives me another high pitched meow, unhappy that I'm not currently filling her bowl.

I ignore her as I remove the heatless curl rods from my hair and finger comb it out, thanking god they look okay and not wonky like they do somedays.

My phone dings causing me to look at the digital screen on the mirror of my vanity. Mom: Good luck today, hun!

I'll answer her later, right now I'm focusing on applying mascara without getting it on my eyelid while using my other hand to find my concealer. 30 seconds later and my makeup is done.

My badge and keys are by the door. I slip on my shoes and jacket, shove everything I need into my backpack, and grab an apple on my way out.

Normally I like to walk to work, the city I live in is nice so I take advantage of the pretty views. Today though I'm practically sprinting through the busy streets.

I glance down at my watch as I sprint-walk. I'm gonna make it. A burst of energy courses through me as I pick up my speed, but then my body comes to a sudden stop as I bump into a hard body and fall to the ground.

"Watch it!" a deep voice yells. My ass is throbbing, I almost rub it before remembering I'm in public. My eyes are met with a set of boots, I look up and up before I finally make eye contact with who I bumped into.

A Yikver.

A different Yikver woman who must have seen me fall comes to help me stand but I ignore her outstretched hand and stand on my own.

My eyes focus back on the Yikver I bumped into, I can't help my glare. "Sorry," I spit out before adjusting my backpack and walking past him.

I keep my interactions with the Yikver's to a minimum. They've been around my whole life, they live their lives just like humans but they're not.

My dad used to tell me stories, passed down from his ancestors, of when the Yikver first came to earth. An alien ship rocketing into the pacific ocean on a random Tuesday afternoon. Then the chaos that ensued and the great war that happened months after.

We all learn about the history of how the Yikver came to earth in school. How their planet was at war and only about two hundred of them were able to escape on a ship. They wandered the galaxy, 83 of them dying on the ship before they found earth. The closest living planet that's not really that close considering how long it took for them to reach us, even with their insanely fast ship.

They were kept in confinement for months while the world went into a frenzy. Then the war followed them here. The others, not Yikvers but Dharxians, came in hard. Destroyed cities in days. An agreement was made between the Yikver and humans in order to work together to defeat the Dharxians.