In Which I Become a Camper

A/N: New Story! There will be some triggering things in this book, ranging from slightly triggering to very triggering.  None of that for this chapter, but I'll warn you guys when there are. Updates will happen when they happen but for now, enjoy the story!

Disclaimer! I do not own any of these characters except for Wren, Winnie, Lucas, and Kyle. (Don't get too attached)

Today did not go as planned at all.  It started when I went to school.  Normally, school's fine. I go in, I learn (not really, with my ADHD and Dyslexia), I get out. On occasion, I'll get teased or bullied. Today however, I almost didn't get out. Why? Cause of stupid Lucas and his friends. 

Unluckily, I had gym with him and his goons. I walked into the girls locker room to get changed and bump into Winnie and Wren, my two best friends. We hug each other before going over to our lockers and pulling out our clothes. 

Sitting down on the bench to pull on her gym shorts, Wren says, "We missed you so much! Really, I don't know why dad decided to take us on his little agricultural job trip." I shrug, "Maybe it was important to him that you guys went. I mean, you guys have some serious green thumbs." 

Winnie sighs, "I know, but it was so tiring." Wren jumps in,"Yeah, we had to wake up at the butt crack of dawn to FARM, like honestly." I chuckle at their complaining, then stand up, sardonically saying, "Let's go guys. We can't sit in here and chat, as much as I'd like to. Let's go get pummeled by Lucas!" They both groan out loud, rolling their eyes. 

We stand up and walk out of the locker room, into the gym, where the teacher, other students and Lucas and his group stand.  We set our bags onto the floor near a door, and I notice something's off. Lucas's group smiles maliciously at Wren, Winnie and me, and I back up a little. "You guys, something isn't right here." They both sidle closer to me, warily eyeing Lucas. "You're right Y/N." We get split into teams, and by some miracle, Wren, Winnie and I end up on the same team. 

We huddle closer together and as the coach blows the whistle, all hell breaks loose. Lucas's goons aim straight for Winnie, Wren and me, and we all dive out of the way. They attack us relentlessly, hurling flaming balls at us. I scream and run for the exit, only to find it locked. "It's locked!" I yell at Winnie, who is running at me.

Farther away, Wren screams and a ball whizzes by her. "Why are they targeting us, and WHY do they have FLAMING BALLS?!" "I don't know, but it's not normal!" A ball slams into the door where I am, and I jump away. One of Lucas's friends roars"Prepare for your doom, Demigods," and I race over to Wren, who is hiding behind Winnie. 

All of a sudden, a door bursts open, and a scrawny kid frantically waves at us. "A-are you guys seeing this?!" Wren looks over to where I'm pointing, and her jaw drops. She pokes Winnie softly, then points to the kids, and Winnie's eyes widen. "What the...?" I dodge another ball, glancing at the guy who threw it my way, only to do a double take. Where there should've been two eyes, there was one. 

Something clicks in my brain. A cyclops. There are cyclops in my school, and they are throwing flaming dodge balls at me and my friends. I look at Wren and Winnie, then to the goat legged kid, and I make a desperate decision, my voice wavering, "Let's go guys. I don't know about you, but I don't feel like dying today." We run over to the kid, dodging the balls the cyclops throw at us. 

It's only when I get closer to him that I see that he, has goat legs. "Uh, dude," I exclaim, "why is there half a goat in your pants?" He laughs lightly and rolls his eyes, "I'm a satyr. You wanna get out of here or not?!" 

The cyclops advance towards us, and the kid, who says his name is Grover, puts pipes to his lips and starts playing a soft, sweet tune, which makes me drowsy, and the cyclops drop to the floor. "What was that?!" Winnie exclaims. Grover holds up a finger, panting,"Panpipes. Nature Magic. I'll explain it on the way to camp, but we have to leave, like right now!" 

I glance at the cyclops, and sure enough, they're waking up. We grab our bags, hurry out of the door, and through the staircase down into the lobby, where we slip by unnoticed. Grover hails a cab, we all jump in, and when we get to 'camp' we all look at Grover skeptically. 

The driver asks us," Are you sure you wanna get out here?" "Yup,"he says. Grover gets out and begins to trot up the hill, glancing around nervously. "Grover," Wren utters, "Are you okay?" He nods, still looking around. "Yeah, just hurry okay?" 

We silently jog up the hill after Grover, his nervous energy contagious.  I take in my surroundings, the once pale blue sky turning a delightful shade of orange and pink. "Grover,  are we there yet?" "Why are we walking up a hill? You still haven't explai-" Winnie's words are cut off by the sight of an arch, tall and made of marble, with words that I couldn't read engraved at the top.  

We walk through the arch, and Grover turns around, spreading his arms in welcome. "Welcome to Camp Half Blood." "Camp Half what?" "Camp Half Blood, one of the only safe places for kids like you." "Kids like us? What do you mean?" Wren questions. "Your parent happened to catch the eye of a god, or goddess, and they had you. You are a demigod, or a half-blood." 

We simply blink, taking in all the information.  Winnie breaks the silence with,"Wait, lemme get this straight, my dad fell in love with some goddess, and Wren and I are the product of that?" 

"Yes." She swings her arms by her sides, nodding her head. "Okay. Okay. That's fine," she sighs, her voice quivering, "how do we know who our parents are?" "They'll claim you." "Claim us how?" "Uh, we don't know how, just that they do and it's normally a good thing." "How could it be a bad thing?" 

Grover motions down the hill, and we start walking, taking in the strawberry fields, the amphitheater, and the cabins "One of my friends got claimed, and things only got worse for him from that moment. Sure, they got better, but he was relatively new, and wasn't trained very well. Come on, let's go to the big house, it's better you hear about these things from Chiron."

~*~ Time skip~*~ 

(Grover brought you guys to Chiron and now you understand it all.)

Chiron waves over a nearby camper, who looks like a bodybuilder in the making, and asks him to take us to the Hermes cabin. He introduces himself as Kyle, son of Ares, and offers to take my bag. I stare at him, and the fact that he's wearing a muscle shirt doesn't help me tear my eyes away. 

One of the twins presses her hand against my chin, shutting my mouth, and Kyle knowingly smirks at me, making my cheeks heat. I tear my eyes away from him, pointedly looking at the floor.  Winnie giggles, elbowing me softly. Wren wiggles her eyebrows up and down at me, and I avoid eye contact with both of them. 

He leads us to the Hermes cabin, which doesn't look too shabby, unlike what he described on the way there, and pats us on the shoulder as we file in. He lets his hand linger on my shoulder for a moment too long, and tells me, "Good luck here, see you around." before walking away. I gaze after him curiously, then decide to get into my cabin and prepare for the bonfire. 

This is your life now, Y/N, better get used to it, I think.

A/N: How was the chapter? Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated!