CHAPTER 11

DUAA

"Oh my god, how are you aunty? It has been so long since I've seen you!" Afra said as she hugged my mom. It has been almost two years since she met my mom. Between our universities and jobs, none of us had the time to visit each other's family, considering we grew up together. But now Afra and her family live in another state. I let those two chit-chat and came into my room with Afra's belongings. Even though we have a guest room there is no way I'm letting my best friend sleep in another room.

After taking my hijab off I went back to the living room as the sound of laughter got louder. "Good morning Mr." I said as I saw my brother all flustered standing next to Afra. "Duaa you seeing this? Last time I saw him, he was one foot shorter than me and look at him now. Almost one foot taller!" "because he eats like a cow." I said as I sat on the couch. "Yea, I learned it from you." I took the cushion from the couch and threw it at him. "Don't forget I brought you your shitty drinks yesterday." He shrugged and went away.

"Since when has he been this calm? I still remember how much you both used to argue." "don't worry. We still fight like before. He's just acting nice since you're here." "but dude..seriously though. He grew up so much. Mashallah! Also his voice. I was too stunned to speak at first." I laughed at Afra's comment.

ALIF

My heart is literally hammering against my ribcage. I always carry the attitude of "I don't give a shit" but the moment I see Afra I become mute. I can't say a damn word. Anything I say ends up sounding stupid. I always felt like that around her but damnnn... to this day? I didn't expect it myself since I was a kid back then. This is the first time I've seen her with hijab and gosh...she looks more beautiful than I remember.

-----------------------------------

DUAA

Just like that another weekend passed and here I was, in the meeting room with Eryx beside me who was not paying attention to the presentation that Mr. Green is presenting about the construction for the new headquarter in another city. It was boring, not gonna lie. Mr. Green has the habit of repeating a sentence three times in different ways.

My mind dozed back to yesterday. I still could not believe that my brother turned 18. He doesn't even look like a kid anymore. It is not that I did not want him to grow up, it is just...it is hard to digest the fact that the funny goofy small boy running around the house is a man now. Shaking my inner thoughts I focused back on the presentation.

-----------------------------------

The meeting lasted longer than it should have. I was at the canteen now and let's just say the food here is my least favourite thing. The only spices they use are salt and pepper and I'm a brown gurlie. I can't survive eating mashed potatoes and boiled veggies for the whole week. I don't eat meat here for obvious reasons. So every here and there I bring my own lunch.

But god knew, in that moment I wanted nothing more than running away from there cause Mr. Green sat right in front me. My ears are about bleed, explode..I don't know but something is gonna happened to them cause Mr. Greeny Green here is talking about his presentation again.

"The colour would be neutral. I was thinking about white, beige and..." "and grey. Yea I heard it during the presentation" I smile at him, wanting to die. "You're such a good listener Ms. Duaa. I'll quickly get my salad then we can talk." God, no! I gotta get out of here. Dumbo...where is he? He isn't here yet.

An idea hit me and I quickly texted him.

"I need a favour."

Moments later he replied.

"So you finally need me brownie ?"

I rolled my eyes before continuing.

"I'm serious."

"What do I get in return?"

This ass!

"you can come at 7:20 tomorrow."

"for the whole week."

"For 2 days"

"4 days"

"3 days"

"Okay deal."

This bitch.

"Now tell me, what do you need me for, brownie?"

"Green is tryna have lunch with me. Save me from him."

This was the last text I was able to send before Mr. Green came back again. He started talking again. I kept staring at the entrance. "Why are you not eating your lunch?" Mr. Green voice made me come back to reality. I looked at my unpacked lunchbox. Minutes passed. Did you seriously expect Eryx to come and help you? My brain whispered.

Clenching my jaw I decided to unpack my lunchbox when all of a sudden I heard "Duaa, an emergency came up. We gotta go." I looked up and it was him. A smile almost rippled through out of me but I controlled it. Wait..why does he look ...messy? His black shirt is wrinkled and buttoned in the wrong way. Lips rosy. Hair is a bit messy. Oh my god, don't tell me he was busy screwing another employee. "Come on. We gotta go." I got up without saying anything. "If I can help, please lemme know. I would be more than happy to help." "you have done enough. Mr. White." Eryx replied with a smile, intentionally calling him by the wrong name. I just followed him without a word.

We entered his office. It was smaller than mine. "You know you should say thank y..." "were you having sex in the office again?" "woah woah..calm down, brownie." He put his hands up in the air. "Don't look at me with those doe judgy eyes." I stayed quite, letting him explain. "First of all, I didn't have sex....yet. You cockblocked me with your little favour." I gave him a disgusting look. I regret calling him now. Having lunch with Mr. Green would have been far better than having this conversation with him. "And before you get any madder, lemme tell you, it wasn't in the office. I was outside." "are you having sex in public now? In front of the company?" "god, no! I was in the car." Car? This dude needs a truck. Okay..wtf am I thinking! "If it's one of the employees, Eryx, I swear.." "it was not. It was my.....friend." Friend. It sounded more like a question.

Was it the friend he posted on his story last night and the day before that? One with black and pink hair. I didn't ask. Didn't wanna know.

"You still didn't say it." "what?" "thank you." "oh my god. Thank you so much Mr. Eryx Ainsworth. For your selfless service." He crossed his arms over his chest and smiled. Dimple visible, making me a bit jealous. "I like it." "like what?" "the way you say name." "yea well...I hate it." He chuckled this time, making me feel all these weird sensations in my stomach.

"Yea well, since you're here and it's break time...let's eat. Cause I'm starving and your food is smelling delicious."