A few of the captains laughed. I tried to keep my emotions hidden. Too good to be true, after all. The commander wasn't even trying to get me recruited. He was only using this opportunity to humiliate me, to shove me deeper into the ground like he'd promised.

"Sorry, Commander, but I'm not taking part in your experiments. This could ruin my group."

Six became five, and after a moment of hesitation, it turned into four.

"So! Do you have any questions?" Commander Stoll asked the remaining men after the door was closed again.

"I mean... He's surprisingly big for an omega. Looks strong. His achievements are pretty impressive... But his heats...?"

"Doesn't really affect alphas," the commander said. "I've personally made sure of that. And he's got double layered birth control. I mean, just in case, of course."

I wanted to gag at the memory his words brought up... I'd gone through that operation for nothing...

"Obviously," the man said, then turned his attention to me. "I could use one more pair of hands, but... I don't think my men are eager to take an omega into the group."

"That's what I'm thinking, too," another one said. "It just gets messy, and I'd rather not waste my energy on that."

"Yeah, I think we'll manage until you get us alpha recruits."

"Sorry, commander. It just won't work out with my men. You understand?"

"Yes, of course," Commander Stoll said, raising his eyebrows at me. "You may leave."

"Thank you, sir. And I wish we could help, but there's so much at stake here, and I'm not comfortable risking the health and safety of my men for this experiment."

"It's fine, it's fine," the commander said dismissively.

I did my best to keep my composure when four turned into one. Only one captain still remained. He'd sat in his seat in silence, not saying a word, his eyes studying me. He was my only hope, and it crushed me.

"Tom?" the commander spoke, and the last captain shifted a little. "Why are you still here? You've not taken new men in... two years, is it?"

"I'm thinking," the man said softly.

"Are you considering it?"

It...

"I am," he said, shifting a little again.

"So you'd be willing to take an omega into your team?" the commander asked.

The captain was silent for a moment, then pulled my file closer. "Your heat doesn't affect alphas, correct?" he spoke directly to me.

"No, sir. I don't have enough pheromones for them to detect," I answered, making eye contact with him.

He nodded slowly, leafing through my papers. "Unlike my comrades, I do see use for someone with a smaller build. Especially for someone with close combat skills. I read through your captain's letter of recommendation, and he's praising your skills with knives. You've killed several high-profile targets with only a knife, correct?"

"Yes, sir. I was mostly used on stealth missions, which is why my training was focused on close combat," I said, my hope rising a little.

"An assassin..." the captain muttered. "I could use one of those. But why do you want this? This isn't an easy place for an omega, as you may have noticed already."

"I'm good at what I do, sir. I'm a fighter, but my skills are currently going to waste," I told him, faking my confidence. "I'm bored out of my mind in my current unit, really."