III. GIVE 'EM HELL

III. GIVE 'EM HELL

Tatum Axel had always told herself it was bad luck to drink the night before a game. She had kept this rule since her sophomore year, but tonight was the night she finally broke it.

She couldn't get the image of Allie's severed bone out of her head, the snapping sound playing on repeat in her head like a fucked up cuckoo-clock.

Natalie and Tatum sat on Tatum's bed, sipping vodka-laced Coca-Colas. Natalie was looking at the selection of clothes she had grabbed after rummaging through Tatum's drawers moments prior.

Natalie took a hit from the joint she had rolled earlier, the smoke coiling around her fingers as she passed it to Tatum. Tatum hesitated for a moment before taking a drag, coughing as if she had never smoked before. Natalie laughed.

Tatum playfully narrowed her eyes as she mumbled a reply, vaguely resembling 'shut up'.

The brunette suddenly hopped up from her bed, jostling Natalie, whose head was resting on her lap.

"What the fuck, Tatum?" Natalie mumbled, adjusting her position.

Tatum glanced at Natalie, who had replaced her lap with Tatum's pillow, a white and fluffy throw cushion that contrasted with her plaid bedsheets.

"The party starts in an hour. I still don't know what I'm wearing, and I haven't even started on makeup yet."

Natalie chuckled knowingly, rolling over on her stomach so she could address the girl. "Planning on hooking up with someone tonight? Didn't Jackie strictly tell us no distractions?"

"Yeah, but that was before Shauna told me that if she could bend the rules, I could too." Tatum replied mindlessly, beginning to search her closet. After a few seconds of rummaging, Tatum finally pulled out an electric blue dress.

She took off her sweats and replaced it with the outfit, turning to face Natalie.

"What do we think?" She asked excitedly.

"It's cute." Natalie replied, sounding bored as Tatum sighed dramatically.

"Nat," she whined, rolling her eyes, "give me actual advice, 'kay? I wanna look good."

Natalie sighed dramatically, agreeing with Tatum's words. The blonde set the empty bottles on Tatum's nightstand, pushing herself up to her elbows. The dim lighting from Tatum's lamp didn't provide much light as Natalie squinted to get a better look at Tatum.

"Okay, fine." She sighed, "do a little spin around."

Tatum spun in a circle, and Natalie giggled.

"I like it. Put a pair of boots on or something. Oh—and the pink lipstick you own. You don't wear it enough."

The brunette grinned at her best friend, happy with the actual advice. Truth be told, she already was going to wear the boots and the pink lipstick, but it was nice every once and a while knowing Natalie cared enough to help her.