VII. A STRANGER'S HAVEN

"Guys! There's a lake!" Taissa's booming voice echoed throughout the tranquility of the forest as she came running towards the crash site.

Tatum stirred from the light nap she had taken moments prior, her head was still rested in Natalie's lap as the blonde fiddled with her hair. The comforting strokes of Natalie's fingers against Tatum's forehead made it easy for the brunette's eyes to flutter shut, her mind going fuzzy as she felt herself drift off.

Sleep was—and had always been a virtue for Tatum, an escape from her daily life. However, with all the stress going on in her life, she found herself exhausted in the most inconvenient situations—and unable to sleep when everyone around her was.

Still, Tatum shuffled out of Natalie's lap, rubbing a groggy hand against her eyes as she sat up straighter.

"I saw it from that hill," Taissa spoke excitedly, her finger pointing to her left, "it looks about four or five miles away."

"Do you think we could hike it?" Shauna questioned seconds later.

"It's pretty rocky, but yeah."

Tatum thought of the possibility of leaving the crash site. If there really was a lake, the idea was promising. Plus...four or five miles wouldn't really matter if it came to a search and rescue team, right?

However, as keen as Tatum was on the idea, it seemed others weren't as open to the suggestion.

"We—uh, we can't just leave." Jackie said suddenly, standing up as she shook her head.

Taissa glared at her incredulously, holding back a scoff. "We've got two days of water, tops. And then what? Just sit around and die?"

Taissa's words were harsh, and it was clear it affected Jackie. Still, the girl remained collected, giving her opinion.

"What if the rescue team comes?" She asked, desperation coating her voice.

Taissa frowned at her for a moment, empathy seeping through her bones.

"Do you think they're taking their time on purpose?" Taissa paused as her words settled in with the others, a solemn energy suddenly overshadowing the air, "if they knew where we were, they would be here already."

"You don't know that." Jackie sighed out, trying to convince Taissa that she was wrong. It seemed that Jackie was in denial.

Taissa remained headstrong, turning her attention to Coach Scott, who sat in one of the airplane seats that had been planted to the floor. "What do you think, Coach?"