IV. BURN MARKS

IV. BURN MARKS

The birds of suburban New Jersey sang their harmonious melody, each note intertwining with the others to create a symphony of nature's chorus. The peace of the morning was abruptly shattered by the piercing blare of Tatum's alarm clock, jolting her from the depths of her slumber.

Groaning, Tatum reached out from beneath the warm covers, her temples throbbing in protest. The haziness of sleep still clung to her mind, temporarily obscuring the reason behind the early morning disruption. As the fog lifted, she remembered why she had set her alarm at such an ungodly hour.

With a swift motion, her hand descended upon the clock, silencing its blaring cry. The room was once again consumed by the peaceful stillness, only broken by the distant chirping of the birds that continued their morning serenade.

As Tatum threw off the covers and swung her legs over the side of the bed, her toes met the chilly embrace of the hardwood floor. A slight shiver ran down her spine as goosebumps prickled her skin, but she paid no attention to the discomfort.

Rubbing her eyes, her feet padded across the hallway as she made her way to the bathroom, hoping a cold shower would provide some relief from the nagging headache that had settled behind her temples.

The hot water turned to an icy cascade as it met her body, causing her to gasp and jump slightly at the sudden shock. She welcomed the coldness as it sunk into her skin, momentarily distracting her from the pain that pulsed in her head.

Rivulets of water cascaded down her sopping wet curls, the droplets forming a trail of miniature rivers that flowed down her back.

Stepping out of the shower, she wrapped herself in a towel hastily tossed around her body, creating a makeshift cocoon that failed to fully ward off the remnants of the morning chill.

With her hair dripping onto her shoulders, she glanced at the jumble of clothes strewn across her bedroom floor, searching for her soccer jersey amidst the chaos. Finally locating it, she shook it out before tossing it into her open suitcase.

Dragging her suitcase and bright green backpack behind her, Tatum made her way through the silent corridors of her house. The empty hallways seemed to echo with her footsteps, a poignant reminder of the solitude that hung in the air.

As she descended the staircase, each step seemed to lengthen the journey ahead, amplifying the weight of the day that awaited her.

A sense of weary anticipation settled in her bones as she reached the bottom of the stairs. With a deep breath, she tightened her grip on her luggage and backpack. It was going to be a long day.

***

"Holy shit." Tatum muttered upon entering the plane.

Her jaw was dropped slightly at the pure luxurious aura of the interior. The soft, plush seats beckoned to her, promising absolute comfort for the journey ahead.

She walked in behind Natalie, after having picked the blonde from her house on her way there. The two had known Lottie had mentioned it was a private plane, but she hadn't expected it to be this nice.