Chapter 9: Are you Crazy?!

Start from the beginning

"Well good. I think Ven would have gone empty handed and winged it," Albus jokingly said.

"Ha ha. Very funny," Ven said, "But no seriously what's the spell?"

"Well, technically it hasn't been invented yet," Scorpius said.

"I'm sorry, what?" Ven said, "I don't think I'm hearing this right."

"There isn't a spell that can actually defeat a werewolf safely," Scorpius said.

"So you mean to tell me that, you want to create a spell and the person who's supposed to cast it doesn't even know how to cast regular spells?!" Albus said concerningly, "Your plan is crazier then mine!"

"Exactly," Scorpius said.

"What," Albus said.

"That's why it's so perfect!"

"What?" Ven said.

"Ven creates the spell. You've seen his determination. If anyone can cast a spell to turn a werewolf into a man. It's him."

"I don't know Scorpius," Ven said, "There's more that goes into a spell then just determination."

"Your right, but those things are just technical. Determination is the hardest thing to master when creating a spell."

"Well, I'll give it a shot," Ven said with confidence, "If anyone can do it, it's definitely me."

"Why don't you bottle up all that confidence into next period," Albus said, "You know she's gonna sit by you."

"Ooo yeah what are you gonna say?" Scorpius said.

"She is not gonna sit by me," Ven said annoyed.

The three of them collected their things and walked to the next class.

"She will," Albus said, "Why would she say what she said before?"

"It's the set up!" Scorpius said.

"Okay, ok," Ven said, "we will see."

"Yes!"

The three of them made it to class on time and didn't forget Professor Marazion's request to bring their animals. Ven, smoothly, looked to the back of the class. Marigold absent. Maybe Albus and Scorpius are right. She might sit by him.

Ven, Albus and Scorpius sat in the centre of the room. Ven left an empty seat next to him and made small talk with Albus and Scorpius for the time being. Then people came in and started to fill up seats. Then Albus and Scorpius stopped talking and watched Marigold and her friends walk right past them.

"Told you so," Ven said disappointed.

"All right students," Professor Marazion said, "If I can have your attention please. Today we won't be taking notes today. I think you're ready to use your wands."

The class started to get really worked up and be very loud. Then got quieter, quieter, until everyone talked in a low whisper. Everyone's heads turned and followed the clicks of her high heels, of the brilliant witch who wore them.

"Well, I don't trust you completely," the Professor said, "Let me introduce you to Hazel Allin. She's only a second year, but has extraordinary craftsmanship in transfiguration. She'll be helping me supervise you and if you have questions. You can ask either of us."

"Professor Marazion has asked that I come up with what you'll transfigure what into," Hazel said putting what seemed to be a cage on the Professor's desk, "It's something that I did last year. That I think is simple enough. An animal into a water goblet. It's a little hard, but I believe it will separate the best from the rest. Please watch me first before you start."

Hazel went up to the Professor's desk and lifted the blanket off of the cage. It revealed an old barn owl. She pulled the owl out of the cage and it peacefully stayed on her arm. She pulled out her wand from thin air, tapped the owl gently three times and said, "Vera Verto."

Instantaneous the owl turned into a water goblet. Ven was ready to show Hazel that he was worth her time and not some first year joke.

"Alright everyone you may begin."

Everyone put there animal on there desk and tried to turn there animal into a water goblet. Albus was trying to turn his owl into the goblet. With every tap, Albus seemed to be more and more frustrated. Scorpius was trying as well, but instead of an owl he had a cat. It really didn't matter cause he couldn't do it either.

Ven just sat there in silence and looked at his owl. He didn't want to look like a fool. He didn't want the werewolf plan to look like a scam. He had to turn his owl into the water goblet. If he couldn't do that, he couldn't create a werewolf curing spell. Ven looked up to see a pair of hazel eyes staring at him.

"Hey Ven," Hazel said.

"Hey," Ven said.

"You know staring at it won't turn it into the goblet."

"I know."

"You must fail before you succeed."

"Sounds reasonable," Ven said with a quiet laugh. Hazel reciprocating his laugh.

Ven pulled out his wand, Scorpius staring at Ven, and tapped his own three times.

"Vera Verto," Ven said nervously.

Nothing happened.

"Keep practicing," Hazel said as she walked over to Albus to help.

"I just don't understand why it didn't work," Ven said.

"You can't expect to get it on the first try," Scorpius said.

"How am I supposed to create a spell-"

"Ven, we will practice, but when you did this spell the first time. You were nervous. Just try to relax and do it again," Scorpius said confidently.

"Okay."

Ven rose his wand in the air, closed his eyes and relaxed all the muscles. He felt his breath, in and out. He felt Scorpius watching him. He heard the students saying Vera Verto. There voices in slow motion. He could hear exactly what was wrong with each. He could tell exactly what was wrong with their wand movement. He put it all together in his mind.

When he opened his eyes; everything went quiet. He no longer felt nervous. He could hear Scorpius saying in his head: "Those things are just technical. Determination is the hardest thing to master when creating a spell."

Ven tapped his wand three times against his owl and said: "Vera Verto."

Just then a flash of green light came from Ven's wand. The tables around them flew into the air. Ven's owl disintegrated.