Chapter 3: Lies Unraveled?

"Me?" Ven questioned, "What kind of school?"

"Mr. Panchak," Neville said to the caretaker, "If you don't mind I'd like to speak to Ven in private."

"Oh yes! Certainly!" The caretaker said as he walked towards the door. Neville waited for the caretaker to leave before he spoke.

"A school of magic," Neville said in all seriousness.

"I'm sorry," Ven couldn't believe what he just heard, "For a moment there, I thought you said a school for MAGIC!"

"I did." Neville said, still being serious.

"But magic doesn't really exist!" Ven said with a slight laugh, "If you are telling the truth, then what do you teach?"

"Herbology."

What a terrible question, that doesn't prove anything. Ven said to himself. He truly must have come up with a better question. "Can you prove it?"

"Prove that I'm a herbologist?"

"No, that magic exists."

"Oh sure." Neville said with a big smile on his face.

Neville pulled out his wand from under his sleeve and moved it in a circular motion. All at once, the shutters on the windows closed.

"Expecto patronum." Neville said, as a flash of light came from his wand, "Usually a patronus produces an animal, but I have what's called a non-corporeal or-"

"Could I learn to do that?" Ven said looking at Neville astonished.

"Yes, this and more."

"Wow, I didn't think you were serious."

"Nope, I was being dead serious."

"What do I have to do to get in?"

"Nothing, you're already in," Neville said, grabbing a letter out of his pocket and handing it to Ven, "The only big rule is that you can't tell anyone that our world exists or use magic outside of school until your 17."

Ven started to read the letter in his head:

Hogwarts: School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Headmistress: Minerva McGonagall

~*~

Dear Mr. Degrad,

Mr. Degrad?

"This has been great fun, but I'm pretty sure YOU just broke the first rule," Ven said giving the letter back to Neville, "This letter isn't addressed to me."

"What do you mean? It has to be."

"Well I'm not Mr. Degrad."

"Your not Ven Degrad."

"Hmm, well I'm sorry to tell you but the wizarding world doesn't make mistakes," Neville said handing Ven the letter back. 

"You see, when a magical child is born, their names are recorded in a book at Hogwarts. Then 11 years later we send out the acceptance letters, but if the child is raised by Muggles. Who are non-magical people. We send, usually a professor, to explain the rules and if you'd like to attend the school."

"But how can that be, my-"

Ven stopped. He realized what has happened. Euphemia Rowle, his god mother, lied. If she lied about this, who knows what else she isn't telling him.

"Professor," Ven said holding out his hand. Neville handed him the letter, "Right now I'm not sure who I am."

"Well, now your a step closer."