Aftermath

Author's note: Since many people had a lot of confusion till now, I am going to clarify some things. I don't know whether it is due to the fact that there was a hiatus after chapter 3 'Player Cards,' but many people seem to have overlooked the fact that Rimuru, Milim and Chloe are not in their original bodies. They are in custom avatars that follow the power system of Overlord. Although they have custom build and can use custom skills, spells and items, they don't have any connection to Tensura anymore. Also, their avatars aren't at their full potential yet and you will see them get stronger in their own unique ways throughout the course of the story.

"Die, you skeleton!" Milim lunged towards her opponent at full speed, her weapon raring to shatter his bones.

"Extend Magic - Temporal Void"

The next instant, everything around her vanished. She was plunged into a pitch-black void. It felt as if she had been transported to the middle of outer space, devoid of a single ray of light. In this realm, time did not exist. Even if one is trapped here for an eternity, it won't account for even a fraction of a second outside. As Milim tried to perceive the sudden change in her surroundings, a familiar voice resonated his her ears. 

"Milim," the voice gently called out. "Calm down. This is not the time to lose your composure."

Milim instantly recognized the voice. "Rimuru!" she exclaimed and spun around, facing the direction of the sound. Sure enough, Rimuru stood there, before her. Tears welled up in her eyes as he hugged him tightly. "The... the baby... It's gone!" 

"I suspected as much," I said, comprehending the situation. "And judging by your anger towards Momonga, I assume he is somehow responsible for it?" I asked, though I was already convinced of the answer. 

"He said he wanted to live, but now he is dead," Milim sobbed. She revealed a fragment of the broken egg and showed it to me. 

Huh? Did the egg hatch while we were away, or was Milim somehow able to communicate with it even before it emerged? Is it one of her racial skills that allowed her to do that? Or...

"Don't worry Milim, all is not lost." I assured her "We can still revive him,"

"It's no use..." she lamented sorrowfully. "Resurrection items and spells have no effect on his kind. We won't be able to bring him back." She held the broken piece close to her chest. Tears trickled down on it. 

"Is that so?" I was taken aback. This is no ordinary creature. We have to revive it all costs. It will be risky but...

Milim's expression swiftly turned to rage. "At the very least, I will destroy this skeleton and avenge him!" she declared.

"No, you can't," I intervened. "That red orb in his stomach is a world item, and one of its abilities is especially strong against dragons. In other words, it is a direct counter to your avatar. You won't survive the blast with your current equipment. Moreover, there is another way." 

Upon hearing my words, she immediately calmed down. 

"Y-you mean there's still a chance we can revive him?" she asked, her eyes filled with hope.

"Yes."

"Really? How?" 

"We will discuss it later," I replied. "First, we need to get out of here. Chloe won't be able to maintain this spell for much longer."

Milim finally returned to her normal self, nodding in agreement. "Fine," she conceded. 

The three of us managed to escape, but to anyone else, it would appear as if Milim got obliterated in the explosion, which would occur the instant the spell is lifted. 

*

Back in the hotel room-

"Ugh, I'm exhausted," declared Chloe. Surely, it must have taken a huge toll on her avatar. "Milim, are you alright?" she asked. 

"Uh-huh," Milim confirmed. "I should be asking that question to you." 

"Oh, how nice of you," said Chloe with a smile. "But you don't need to worry about me. Let's focus on helping your friend." Milim proceeded to explain everything to us from the beginning. Turns out, one of her racial skills under True Dragon Lord has the ability to communicate with and control any dragonkin who lacked the will to resist her. That's how she conversed with the dragon inside the egg before it hatched. 

"...he told me about the numerous attempts on his life. He only managed to survive thanks to his mother's sacrifice," she continued. "But in the end, the monster that we encountered devoured the egg. Fortunately, we were able to rescue him before he got dissolved in its stomach. But now..."

Reality Slash, a tenth-tier spell capable of distorting reality itself. But the question is, why would Momonga decide to use it on the egg? According to my knowledge, there was no connection between him and the mysterious egg. Why would he go out of his way to destroy a random egg? Or is there something bigger at play here? Nevertheless...

"...what's important right now is to bring the egg back to life," I declared. "It may hold the key to unravelling a greater mystery and shedding some light on the bigger picture."

It seems as if Ciel has deliberately added some surprises unknown to my knowledge to ensure our journey is as fun as possible. 

"B-but how?" questioned Milim. "Resurrection items and spells don't work on him. Once dead, his kind can't be brought back to life even with the most powerful resurrection spell," she explained. 

"That's not an issue," Chloe replied. "My spell doesn't fall under the category of resurrection spells, so it will do the job," she added with a smile. Hearing that, Milim's face lit up with a glimmer of hope. 

Chloe's spell, Fate Reversal, is just a time reversal spell so it does not classify as a resurrection spell. We can safely use it to rewind time on the egg before it was destroyed. 

"But it will come at a great cost," I stated the obvious. "Chloe has already depleted almost all her MP by the stunt we just pulled. Sustaining a super-tier spell along with a high MP-consuming tenth-tier spell simultaneously is no easy feat."

"That's true," Chloe agreed. "But we had no other choice. Ainz has countermeasures against the ordinary time-stop spell, so I had to resort to this in order for all three of us to escape safely, undetected." 

"But isn't Fate Reversal a super tier spell?" asked Milim. "It shouldn't consume MP unless..."

"Yes, it won't consume MP for a single use," explained Chloe. "However, the time when the egg was destroyed far exceeds the extended range of the spell. Using it once won't be enough. I'll have to cast it multiple times in succession."

"And for that," I continued. "Chloe will have to utilize her high MP-consuming spell, Temporal Void, to nullify the cooldown of Fate Reversal each time. But since she is currently out of MP, it is not possible." 

"In that case..."

"Don't worry Milim," Chloe reassured her. "I can utilize the life force of this avatar to compensate for the remaining MP."

That's the only viable option we have. However, consuming the life force of the avatar means...

"Chloe's avatar will enter an indefinite unconscious suspended state." 

Author's note: There will be no cliffhanger next chap :)

The chapter is short but its all I can do in a week. Do tell me if you would prefer to switch it to bi-weekly.