Prelude to Disaster

Somewhere unknown-

A light, purple mist lingers in the surroundings,
its magical quality a sight to behold.
Covering the vast barren lands, mesmerizing
the ones who dare step into, this mystical abode.

"This place gives me the creeps," said a blond girl in armour.

"Indeed. How in the world can such a thing exist in the first place!" said a blue-haired guy carrying a sword.

"Let's... let's just get done with it leave" said a little girl carrying a magic staff.

"Shh... I feel something!" said the blond and the other two became alert.

"So where is-"

*slash*

"Mary!!!" 

The next instant, the little girl's neck had been ripped apart by a pair of claws. Her head lying on the hard soil, filling the cracks with her blood.

"Why you! I will kill you!" said the blond girl in armour as she took out a pair of daggers and rushed towards the shadow hiding in the mist.

"No Jane stop! Don't-"

*rip*

The next thing he saw was a paw piercing the girl's heart. Trembling at the sight in front of him, the guy started backing down.

"T-this is not what was supposed to happen! How in the world is a mere silver-rank quest required to defeat such a monster? How can the guild mess it up so badl-"

*slash*

*

"It's such a wonderful day," said Chloe with a smile as we strolled through the streets of E-Rantal.

It was indeed quite good. The weather was nice and we had finally settled down in this town as adventurers. 

"So, what do you want to do today?" I asked.

The quest ended up paying quite a sum and we rented a nice place for ourselves in the middle of the city. After spending the night at the inn, the three of us went out to explore the world.

"Let's see," said Chloe while thinking "Since we have already taken care of all our monetary problems due to the quest we took the other day, let's just enjoy ourselves for now" 

"Alright. We will go see Milim in the evening" 

At the end of our last quest, Milim found a mysterious egg that was inside the monster's stomach. By some coincidence, or rather it would be better to call it a miracle, the egg was still alive and intact. 

*flashback*

"Looks like it is about to hatch! Let's take this with us. I don't want it to hatch when no one is around!" said Milim.

"We can't do that Milim. It would be bad for us if it happens to hatch when people are around. It most likely is a rare monster of some sort. We don't want to draw any unnecessary attention" I declared.

"And by the size of this egg, it doesn't look like the monster is going to be any small," said Chloe, looking at Milim who was tightly hugging an egg even bigger than her in size.

"Aww That's no fair! In that case, I am going to stay right here and watch over it until it hatches" declared Milim with a pout.

"But-"

"I am not budging on this! You two can leave without me" shouted Milim with teary eyes, staring right at me. 

Ugh. I know you are doing it on purpose you know! But I kind of understand. Milim just gets too emotional when it comes to such stuff.