LETTER TO THE HEAVENS

November 19th, 1989. Douglas Collins. GOLDENEYE.

It's sad, it really is. But more than that. It's insane.

The two other cops that came with me undercover, Officer Janelle & Officer Benne haven't appeared since yesterday. We radioed for them, checked cameras, but they haven't been found for two days. I'm worried that they could have fully joined, or worse... but that's the least of our issues. Goldeneye has grown a lot since the first murders, and I'm starting to worry that they'll be able to take over Royalton- then Vermont.. and it's almost inevitable. The leader uses propaganda in the form of words to turn people against the world, and into the hands of GOLDENEYE. We don't have much time, so I'm proposing a plan today to the department. But I need to count our friends and our enemies. What isn't there to say that they have an informant in the department either?

So here is my plan:

I will wait for another murder, but I'll need to be recording with body cam footage. In the meantime, we gather all the evidence we can, including autopsies of the earlier victims. They all indicate death by bleeding, presumably due to knife wounds, so I will try to search for any knife, machete, hell even a butter knife, just anything sharp made of metal. If anybody sees the car belonging to officers Janelle & Benne, they need to immediately call the police, or contact me. If I need to prove my loyalty or anything like that.. I don't know yet. Running away could prove difficult, and even if I escape I'll be looking over my shoulder for the rest of my life. I could bring an anesthetic-laced weapon or something, but under no circumstances I should kill a man. As soon as someone is in danger of murder, we storm the area. Arrest the leader and find out who they are. Don't let a single one get away. But under no circumstances do we kill the leader, because if we do, there's always a chance that he'll be martyred, which'll only speed their movement up.

I'm leaving most of this paper at the station, and I need to make sure that the new Governor has a copy. Speaking of which, I need to send my condolences to that Moore kid, the son of the late Governor. He must feel horrible after the murder of his father. But the wicked never rest, so we still have a job to do, and justice will prevail

HOLD ON

NEW UPDATE:
NEW VICTIM WAS FOUND IN THE FOREST. IT WAS BENNE. JANELLE HASNT BEEN FOUND. WE MOVE NOW.

-DC, Police Chief of Vermont

In another place...

You walk through the forest, its wonderful mist kissing the skin on your face. Dew drips down the pine leaves, and the soft midnight wind blows all around you. On your side, the wonderful Officer- er, well, now former Officer Benne, walking calmly next to you. The Great Immortal is a genius,   connected directly to the One Above. He has given you priceless knowledge, but just as he says; "Everything has a price." This just so happens to be yours. Your career. Your husband. Everything you've ever worked for. But it'll all be worth it some day. One day...

Captain Collins is a fool, an idiot, and his plan wasn't ever going to work. The Great Immortal already knew those guns were a fake, and your demonstration of belief has scared him off. They'll be coming back with weaponry, but you don't suspect that they know exactly how many arms we still have, supplied by the Great Immortal. And best of all, they have no leads on any new identities. Collins colleagues aren't stupid, you know that much, but those pigs knowing any of our plans is highly detrimental, so your leader has an idea of their own. They will explain it tonight. After you prove yourself to him personally. They've already gone over all your records, your accomplishments, evaluating anything that could prove useful for them, but one thing they're not sure of yet is your LOYALTY. But not to worry. This assignment will easily be successful. That asshole was never good at self-defense, let alone a good police officer. But those days are over. The future is now.

"Why did you want me to come here, by the lake? You having second thoughts about the mission?" That stupid man-child asked, slowly climbing above a boulder. "Yeah babe... there's also something I need to show you." You lift yourself effortlessly over the top. Above you, the waning moon stares at you two, silent in it's yellow, judgmental, still & silent self. "Should you really waste your life for this? This is what you've worked years for? A future filled with murder & evil?" The moon taunts you, knowing you can't do anything about it but answer.

"Yes." You accidentally say aloud, prompting an odd look from your husband. "Y-yes, this is the place we went for your proposal, McIntosh Pond. I wanted to show you something about this... this career." You blush, and you watch him do the same, glowing pink in the blanket of jet-black around you. "Oh shit, what's up? Don't say you wanna quit!" He cares so much about you, doesn't he? He's such a pushover, isn't he? He'll know what you're about to do, won't he?

Probably not. He still thinks that the earth is flat, he's too stupid to know.

"No, no, it's not that, I need to show you something important. You'll love it." You pull out three photos, somewhat blackened out by the lack of light. "Hold on, lemme get my flashlight." He turns around, fingers stumbling across the bag. You slowly step closer, closer, closer... There! Right there! You watch yourself swiftly pull a potato sack over your partner, tightening the straw string around his neck. He struggles, crying out for help, but there's only you and him. Him & you. You watch him struggle, but his writhing brings him to his doom. He hits his head on a rock with a bony, delicious CRACK, then sinks down to the bottom of the river. Few bubbles come up for the little amount of life he had left. For him, he deserved it, the worthless worm. For you...

It was destiny.