chapter 3

i was right. it was too much for me. over these past few weeks, i've felt nothing. when i killed my mother, a piece of me died with her.

i was failing. my shots were sloppy, my aim was so far off, my eyes even had bags under them due to lack of sleep. maybe I'm not the best widow. love is for children, that's what i've always been told. but then why does it feel like i did love them, and why did it hurt when i lost them?

but i know i have to up my game, or i'll get killed. at the red room it's kill or be killed. i have watched so many people get killed, and every time i think 'im the strongest person here, i have the most potential' however im not sure if i am that person anymore.

i was in my cell getting ready for bed, as dreykov came in. he only comes in when it is something urgent and important. i've only seen him 4 times in my life. "пойдем со мной (come with me)" he said. i followed him out of the cell, still in my training clothes.

we were walking through the corridors with dreykov in front of me and 2 guards behind me, making sure i couldn't run anywhere. it was dead silent, all you could hear were breathing and the squeak of dreykov's shoe every time he stepped his left foot forwards.

we stopped outside a room, where dreykov placed his hand on a scanner next to the door. it unlocked the door and we walked inside. inside the room was a massive window, with a desk facing the outside. i hadn't seen outside in years, i forgot what it looked like. it was beautiful.

he instructed me to sit down on the chair in front of his desk, so i did. i looked him in the eyes, and he looked hopeful.

"as you are one of our best widows in the facility, we have decided on a few things. as you know you are already a part of the black widow project, however we have decided to add some... features to enhance your physical ability. we have also come to a conclusion that if you improve enough in the following weeks, you will be selected for a very important mission." he said.

"what is the mission sir?" i asked. i wanted to know how to train to make sure that i could be involved in this. i had only been on a mission once, and when i got back i was treated like i was the black widow. i was basically royalty in the red room. however it only lasted a week before everyone forgot about it.

"i must not reveal everything, but it is a combat mission to retrieve our greatest invention, the black widow." my eyes widened. i was a possible selection for a mission this big? what if i failed? what if i don't do everything i was supposed to? "athena, you have great potential, and you are close to being our next black widow. maybe after a few more months you will be our greatest invention."

i was shook. i have been training my entire life for this? how would he think that i was good enough to be the next black widow, she's all everyone talks about.

"either way, we have somewhere to be tomorrow. the guards will wake you up at 6am sharp, be ready by 6:05"

i didn't get told what i had to be ready for, but i was more than excited. if i had the potential to be the next black widow, who knows where i'm going?

as i got back to my room, i took a mental note of everything i had to do to improve my fighting and make sure i went on that mission. it is so important to me, as it's not every day you get told you might be good enough to be selected for a mission. they are usually only for the older girls, and even then they don't get chosen or done often.

i was excited to train for the mission, but i was also incredibly nervous about tomorrow.

i fell asleep that night overthinking about what was going to happen to me the next day. little did i know this is where everything began...

a/n btw the last bit in italics was supposed to be future athena if that makes any sense

i hope u guys have a nice day/night!!<333