Chapter 39: I'm still not tired of loving somebody who's not mine

Start from the beginning

"That's good. At least you won't be unemployed," Abhimanyu said, giving me a small smile. I forced a smile back, though inside I felt anything but okay. I had no hope of getting any job.

"I never wanted anything like this to happen to you. I'm really sorry for dragging you in my mess"

"Don't blame yourself. You didn't see this coming either." I said to him. Last thing I would want to see Abhimanyu breaking down too. I don't want that.

"You have no idea how guilty I was feeling all these days"

"How is your job?" I asked. I didn't want to be self-centered.

"I still have it, because you admitted the crime. I have my job only because of you. And you lost yours because of me."

"Please, stop blaming yourself. I am not liking it."

"Okay. We will pass through it" he said and for a moment we sit in silence.

"I couldn't believe that my life had taken such a drastic turn in just a matter of days. One moment I had everything going great for me, and the next, I had lost my job, my reputation, and possibly even my freedom." I said without looking at him.

"I just don't know how I'm going to face everyone," I admitted, feeling tears prick at the corners of my eyes once again.

Abhimanyu sit closer and made my head lean on his shoulder. "You don't have to face anyone alone. You have me, remember? We are in this together"

I smiled, feeling beautiful for his gesture. Maybe things weren't as bad as they seemed with Abhimanyu by my side.

"Thank you" I whispered.

We stayed like that for some time and Our moment was interrupted by a sharp knock at the door. I turned my head to see Sakshi, the police officer who was there outside my room, standing at the door.

"If you two lovebirds are done, can we talk about dinner?" she asked in a teasing tone. "I don't see anyone or anything in the kitchen. You have to provide me food as long as I'm here." She added. She should really been here when Abhimanyu was calling him my friend.

"I know we are supposed to provide you food and a place to sleep. And for the last time, We are not lovebirds" I corrected her. feeling a pang of annoyance at her comment.

Abhimanyu gave me a small smile before turning to Sakshi. "I will take care of that. Please wait for a moment."

Sakshi nodded and walked away, and Abhimanyu and I were left alone once again.

"So, what do you have in your house? I'm almost full of the heavy lunch we had in the afternoon. I won't need much. Evelyn must be hungry too" I said to Abhimanyu.

"Actually, I didn't go to get any groceries after I came back here. It was under police for so many days, I didn't return until yesterday. And I'm not a shopping person. So, there's nothing at the house. I have to get something from the market, it's still open I guess." He replied getting up from the bed.

"What have you been eating since yesterday?"

"I've been ordering takeout, mostly," he admitted, looking a bit sheepish.

"But you did bring some of the things present in the room. Or Evelyn brought them?" I asked.

"She accompanied me" he replied.

"And you didn't think of groceries that time?"

"No. I was ordering since yesterday and Evelyn came this morning.

"Well, we can't rely on takeout for every meal. Let me come with you to the market. I will pick up some healthy groceries. Or we can order the groceries" I said picking up a notepad. "So, what do we need?" I asked.

"Are you sure?" he asked, "we can order in tonight, and tomorrow both of us can go grocery shopping, since you are staying here for a while and as it's already too late at night"

"I can have some soup and go to sleep. What about others? Let's Ask them what they want to have and we will order" I agreed.

"There's nothing to ask. They will eat vegan, the ones you are ordering" he smiled at me and forwarded his phone opening a food delivery app.

We both choose and ordered some vegan dishes and also grabbed some groceries for breakfast cereals for the next morning. It took some time for the delivery to arrive, but eventually, everything was at our doorstep. We sat down together at the dining table, ready to have our dinner. There was food on everyone's plate, I was the only one having soup. I didn't want to eat anymore and explode.

"So, Siya, when was the last time you sit to eat at a table with so many people," Evelyn asked me.

"I did this every day when I was in prison. Apart from the days, Abhimanyu used to visit me with food" I replied.

"Why is it a thing?" Abhimanyu asked.

"Because normally Siya doesn't eat with anyone. She eats alone" Evelyn replied to Abhimanyu.

"I prefer privacy while eating plus I live alone, I can't invite people in to eat with me," I said.

"So, this is one of the rare cases for her. Eating with more than one person." Evelyn giggled. Everyone else followed her.

"This is a rare case for me too. I haven't spent this much time at home since last year. Typically, I only come back to sleep at night. Being in my own house feels good, even after having so many bad memories here. I found reasons to stay here, even though the people here aren't my family." Abhimanyu said and for some time we became quiet.

"Abhimanyu, Home is not a place, it's the people. I heard it a lot of times" Sakshi said to him and he turned his face towards me.