149) What's Worse, Standardized Testing Or A Stressed Hermione?

Please read the AN, I've got a couple of important questions. Also, I wrote this chapter at 4 AM, and am pretty sure that I used the word 'zonked' at some point, so don't be too surprised if things are a bit wonky in this chapter. I was tired but couldn't fall asleep.

Standardized testing was invented by Hades as a form of punishment for his evil little dead people. Sisyphus with his rock? I could do that. Tantalus and his hunger? No biggee. Exams, though? Send me to Hell, please, it'd be better than dealing with that nonsense (Note to Hera: I am not being serious please don't).

Flipping through booklet after booklet, using my quill to scratch my answers into the paper, I felt as if my brain was melting to mush. Soon enough, it'd be pouring out of my ears and nose, and I wouldn't even notice.

It didn't help that it had been a boring morning. None of the fifth-years had spoken at breakfast, too caught up in their fretting, and no one else talked much, either, caught up in noting everyone's fretting. Seamus was the only one who didn't seem totally whacked out of his mind, and that's because he was busy stuffing his face with as much bacon as possible (don't know how he ever expected to get Dean if he pulled stuff like that right beside him).

The fifth and seventh year students had to mill about for a hot minute as the examination staff set up the Great Hall for our test. Finally, at half past nine, they started calling us in by class. The four House tables had been replaced with many smaller tables, all facing the staff table.

Once we were all seated, and McGonagall finally told us to begin, I zoned out entirely. I could not tell you a single thing I wrote for that Charms exam, though I am sure I wrote stuff, because my hand was smudged with ink afterward. I also got told off for humming about twelve times, so I definitely used my songs.

Wouldn't be surprised if I went on a tangent for one of my answers, though, explaining that the countercharm for hiccups is stupid because you can just drink water, and if drinking water doesn't cure it, then you deserve to suffer.

I took the test, though, which was more than people had expected of me years ago, so I came out of it feeling quite accomplished.

No one else seemed to feel accomplished. Hermione was panicking, and I think she memorized every question just so she could ask us what we answered later. When I mentioned the hiccuping countercharm, she about burst into tears, saying she'd thought it too much.

I don't even know what question I put the hiccuping charm on. I'd been making a joke. I'm not even sure if I did mention the hiccuping charm at all in my answers.

Ron and Harry were both tight-lipped about it all, looking quite uncomfortable. Neville had his head in his hands, grumbling beneath his breath. Silena, who had taken her N.E.W.T.s with us in the examination hall, was panicking, tugging at her hair. I'd never seen her purposefully mess up her hair before.

Seamus, on the other hand, looked perfectly at ease. It was starting to concern me. I'd seen him freak out over some pretty meaningless things, so this was new for me. Maybe he didn't plan on pursuing a magical job. He'd take after one of his brothers: becoming a Muggle cop (Luke): becoming a professional thief (Connor or Travis, take your pick): or attempting to overthrow the gods and instigating a war (Liam). I thought he was capable of doing all of that and more. Still, I didn't like the content look on his face.

I stood to go demand answers, but lunch was up, and we were dragged off to another room for our practical exams. We waited uncomfortably as students were alphabetically taken to another room in groups of four. Several students were muttering the charms beneath their breath and accidentally poking their peers in the eye with their wand.