52)

"Settle down," Snape said coolly as we all entered his classroom. There wasn't any real need for the order, because none of us were talking. I understood the dramatics, though. Snape was a theatre kid. Snape stood in front of his desk, looking out at all of us. "Before we begin today's lesson, I think it appropriate to remind you that next June you will be sitting an important examination, during which you will prove how much you have learned about the composition and use of magical potions. Moronic though some of this class undoubtedly are, I expect you to scrape an 'Acceptable' in your O.W.L., or suffer my... displeasure."

I bit back a laugh. Snape was usually displeasures with me. I wouldn't call it suffering, more like... tolerating.

"After this year, of course, many of you will cease studying with me," Snape continued. "I take only the very best into my N.E.W.T Potions class, which means that some of us will certainly be saying goodbye." His eyes landed on Harry, who was looking quite pleased at the idea of not having to deal with Snape after this year. "But we have another year to go before that happy moment of farewell, so whether you are intending to attempt N.E.W.T or not, I advise all of you to concentrate your efforts upon maintaining the high-pass level I have come to expect from my O.W.L. students.

"Today we will be mixing a potion that often comes up at Ordinary Wizarding Level: the Draught of Peace, a potion to calm anxiety and soothe agitation. Be warned: If you are too heavy-handed with the ingredients you will put the drinker into a heavy and sometimes irreversible sleep, so you will need to pay close attention to what you are doing." Hermione sat up straighter, trying to pay as much attention as she could. I started thinking about ducks. "The ingredients and method" — Snape flicked his wand — "are on the blackboard" — everything appeared there — "you will find everything you need" — he flicked his wand again — "in the store cupboard" — the door of said cupboard opened) — "you have an hour and a half.... Start."

We had predicted correctly. Snape had assigned one of the most finicky potions to make. Everything had to be very precise or it wouldn't turn out right.

"A light silver vapor should now be rising from your potion," Snape called once there was ten minutes left of class.

My potion had the silver vapor bubbling up around it, but most of my peers had nothing that resembled silver. Hermione and Draco's were both very nice (though Hermione's was a shade too dark, and Draco's seemed to be emitting his vapor a little too quickly). Harry's was issuing dark gray steam, and Ron's was green and sparking dangerously. Seamus's fire had gone out, and Neville's looked like concrete.

It was at this point that Snape started snooping around the class, peering into cauldrons distastefully. He stopped when he came to Harry's.

"Potter, what is this supposed to be?"

"The Draught of Peace," Harry said dryly.

"Tell me, Potter," Snape spoke softly, "can you read?"

I nearly pointed out that Snape could barely read, but didn't. I'd had enough detention this year already.

"Yes, I can," Harry said tensely.

"Read the third line of the instructions for me, Potter."

Harry squinted at the blackboard, "'Add powdered moonstone, stir three times counterclockwise, allow to simmer for seven minutes, then add two drops of syrup of hellebore.'""

Harry's shoulders slumped.

"Did you do everything on the third line, Potter?"

"No," Harry said, so quiet I could barely hear it.

"I beg your pardon?"

"Then beg," I said in Greek, but quickly put my hand over my mouth. Snape stared at me for a moment, then probably decided it wasn't worth his time to deal with me. He turned back to Harry.

"No," Harry said, frowning. "I forgot the hellebore..."

"I know you did, Potter, which means that this mess is utterly worthless. Evanesco." The contents of Harry's cauldron vanished with a flick of Harry's wand. "Those of you who have managed to read the instructions, fill one flagon with a sample of your potion, label it clearly with your name, and bring it up to my desk for testing." Snape glared at us through the vapor hanging in the air. "Homework: twelve inches of parchment on the properties of moonstone and its uses in potion-making, to be handed in on Thursday."

I silently filled my flagon with my potion, glancing up at Harry's red face. I looked back down at my potion, "I'm sorry he's so rough with you, Harry."

"He's supposed to be one of the good guys," Harry whispered.

"That's the problem," I sighed. "He is."

I'm going to keep this short, because Kadee is setting up Minecraft. I don't want to keep her waiting. I've had a good day, we watched Encanto again, and I had two hotdogs. My dog is cuddly, he's cute, and I don't know what else to talk about. Ah, my legs hurt. They feel as if I've worked out but I haven't. I carried the vacuum, but I don't think my muscles are that weak. It wasn't heavy, just big, and I am small.

Anyway, I hope you guys have had a fantastic Thursday, and I'll see you on Saturday CT. Love ya!