Chapter 28

Abrianna

"He said he's going to meet Attorney Rivedo but he didn't tell me why."

When Cervantes' mom uttered those words, it turned my world upside down. I felt nervous and scared but above all, I wished I could take back time.

I knew Attorney Rivedo. He was father's friend and our family attorney as well. And he was known as a consultant for legal separation. He specialized on that field. So, the whole time Grego was driving us to our house, I was lowkey fidgeting thinking Cervantes and his reason for meeting attorney.

Was it for our annulment paper? Did he go see Attorney Rivedo to consult him on the process? Would he get us annulled even in the middle of our situation?

Ang daming pumapasok sa isipan ko at hindi ko maintindihan bakit hindi ako mapakali. It was like something was not right. NO, it was not "something" because I knew very well what it was. It was the idea of getting separated from Cervantes for real. It scared for no reason and I'm confused. I asked for it, I know, but it felt wrong and I didn't get it. Nagugulahan ako at hindi ko alam kung ano ba ang dapat kong gawin.

"Abrianna, you feelin' good there?"

My eyes opened on their own when I heard my name called. I glanced in front where Cervantes' mom was sitting and she was looking at me through the rear mirror. "Is everything okay? Does your head hurt?" She wasn't looking anywhere except my eyes.

I shook my head. "No. I'm fine here.. mom." Calling her mom was still new to me. She smiled but I'm pretty sure she wasn't convinced at all. Good thing though she didn't insist. I just gave her a half-smile as gratitude.

"Tell me if wanna stop somewhere."

Agad akong umiling. "Let's just straightway go home." I wanted to rest.

Nang makarating kami sa bahay, una kong napansin agad ang bakanteng garahe. It only meant one thing. Cervantes was not yet home. His mom seemed to notice it too because she immediately insisted to accompany me but I told her I can manage.

"Are you sure? I can stay here until Luke arrives."

"It's fine ..mom. I'm sure Cervantes won't also take long."

She lightly chuckled. "You really got used calling him by our family name." It wasn't an insult nor a negative comment. It was a plain statement after a heartful laugh. She held my hand. "You take care then, okay?" There was still a smile on her face.

Napangiti na lang din ako. "I will."

"Call me or Luke or anyone if you need anything." She kissed my cheeks before Grego drove off.

I watched them leave before closing the gate. After making sure that everything's locked, I went inside. Silence immediately welcomed me. Only the sound of the clock could be heard. Napabuntong hininga na lang ako bago dumiretso sa kusina para magtimpla ng ginger tea. I kinda miss it and I also need it to calm my nerves and think better. Everything just overwhelmed me. Not to mention the slight pain I'm feeling on my forehead. There were few scratches on it but I'm pretty sure it won't leave a scar. I haven't seen Vienna since the accident but mom told me she's good and there's nothing to worry about since both of our x-rays are good. The accident has also been taken care of already she said. That fast. There were no foul plays found. It was a plain accident all because of the bad weather and the slippery road.

I sighed and just stared at nowhere. My mind quickly travelled back again to what Cervantes' mom has told me earlier in the hospital. She said Cervantes went to see Attorney Rivedo but he didn't tell her why. Ang sabi lang daw niya ay hintayin ko na lang daw siya dito sa bahay pero dumating naman kami eh wala pa siya which only meant that his talk with Attorney was not yet done. That was why I cannot help but wonder. What was taking them long? Did they start processing the papers already? Was that it?