Chapter 41 - My Mother

Börja om från början

"Yes, it's me, your son." He chuckled as he wiped his tears, only for more to run down his face. "I'm sorry."

"Did you do something wrong?"

"I'm sorry for everything. I should've known that that y-"

"I found my son!" She didn't care about straining her voice as she spoke a little louder. "I know it's him and he came back to me!"

He lowered his head, bursting into tears with his other hand on his face.

Olivia and Helena then came closer, with Olivia gently resting her hand on his shoulder, silently sobbing at the sight before her.

As Helena wiped her tears, she sighed with relief since she finally reunited the two of them, even though she still had a lot to explain to him.

Filled with joy, he looked back at them and gave them a smile and they smiled back.

Just then, Helena's smile faded and her eyes grew wide when she was the first to notice Martha's state. She instantly rushed to her and Ethan looked over at his mother, only for panic to set in as he shook his head at the sight of the blood she had coughed up.

Helena only added to his panic when she mentioned that it was more blood than she had ever seen before.

Fearing the worst, his eyes grew wide as he shook his head. He wasn't ready to lose her.

~

Ethan rushed his mother to the hospital where she had been receiving treatment and once she was admitted, he couldn't stop looking around while seated. The state of the hospital didn't seem up to his standards, or at least good enough but he paid little attention to that as he only wished to hear from the doctor.

He held on tightly to Olivia's hand, which made it less obvious how shaky he was due to his panic.

Helena also couldn't seem to calm down as she paced. It was too soon for him to have to experience that with his mother.

As the doctor approached them, Ethan was the first to get up and rushed to him with eyes.

"How is she?"

"Ma'am, I had mentioned this to you before," the doctor said, looking over at Helena, then back at Ethan. "There's nothing more we can do for her. Her health had deteriorated so much that we can only wait-"

"Wait for what?" Ethan yelled.

"Babe," Olivia said quietly, trying to calm him down.

"Go on." Ethan took a step forward, his eyes fixed on the doctor as he clenched his fists. "What were you about to say?"

The doctor sighed. "I'm sorry, you have to hear this, Sir, but we did our best."

"Best?" Ethan scoffed, his eyes turning red. "I just found my mother and you're telling me I should just watch her die?"

"Sir, this is a hospital and you need to-"

"No, I can't lose her when I just found her!" He paced and the three of them could only watch as he began to sweat and breath hard.

Olivia got closer, placing the palm of her hand on his back. "Hey..."

"No," he said with a shaky voice, resting his hands on the wall for support. "It's too soon."

"I know, but there's nothing more they can do."

"You mean these doctors here, right?"

"What?"

"You know what?" He straightened up with a sigh of determination. "We're getting her out of this place. I need a second opinion."

He planned to take Martha to the most advanced hospital in the country.