Chapter 20 - The Hospital

A few hours after Ethan had rushed Pete to the hospital, it was 10 p.m. and he had decided to wait until he would receive an update on Pete's condition.

While in his seat, he had leaned back with his fingers intertwined and resting at the back of his head. His gaze was on the wall as if it filled him with curiosity, but his mind could only replay the incident that led him to that particular moment.

His knuckles were no longer bloody red since he had washed off the blood, but his white shirt still had a few stains, reminding him just how much fury he had unleashed on Pete.

He didn't fear the worst for Pete but only feared himself and how far his rage took him all because of Olivia. Not once did he ever get into such a brawl with Pete and for that to have happened, he questioned why the moment Pete admitted that he loved Olivia, he was unable to hold back and it came to blows.

His mind seemed to wander for as long as he was alone, but it all changed when the doctor approached him and had to get in his face to get his attention.

When he snapped out of it and noticed the doctor, he dropped his hands and rose to his feet as he asked about Pete's condition in the most natural tone and facial expression, just as he normally did.

The doctor informed Ethan that Pete had sustained a serious head injury and Ethan nodded as a sign that he understood, but said nothing more as he remembered how hard he had kicked Pete in the head.

The doctor had to mention his name a few times before he could pay attention again and when he did, he nodded along as the doctor mentioned that Pete would spend a few days in the hospital. He told Ethan he could go in and see Pete and mentioned the room number, but Ethan scoffed as he aggressively shook his head, refusing to go there.

Just when the doctor said his final words and walked away, Pete's aunt came rushing straight to Ethan and she held onto him and shook him as she asked with desperation where she could find her nephew.

Seeing Pete's aunt in front of him and extremely worried made Ethan realize just how far he had gone with his rage.

"What happened to him? What did you do to him?" asked Pete's aunt.

"Look, I just couldn't stop myself, not after what Pete had been doing behind my back?"

"Which was?"

"Ask him yourself when you get the chance," said Ethan, then told her where she could find Pete and walked away.

Pete's aunt rushed to Ethan and pointed at him from the back as she lashed out, stating how unusual it was of him to treat Pete the way he did. She then spoke more softly with a tremble as she reminded him that despite whatever happened, they were best friends and could sort it out, which made Ethan look over his shoulder as he expressed his doubt about them ever being the same.

"Now, stop following me and go to Pete," he said, then walked faster and heard Pete's aunt yell but barely heard what she said because she trailed off.

When he reached a corner along the hallway, he ran into Natalie who had a look of distress on her face. He instantly assumed she was there because of what happened to Pete.

"When did you get here?" she asked.

"When did I get here? What's that supposed to mean? Don't tell me you came to check on Pete. You don't even know him that well."

"Pete? Do you even know what happened?" asked Natalie, her eyes wide. "I've been calling you for hours now but your phone's been off!"

He shrugged with a blank expression. "I guess my battery died. If y-"