Chapter 2 - The Divorce

Though it only took Ethan a few seconds to respond, he faced the floor, sighed heavily and nodded.

Delighted, his mother placed her hand on his shoulder.

"I knew you would agree right away and it's because Olivia's nothing to you. Am I right?"

"She really is nothing to me. I don't even love her," he said.

"Then tell her you want a divorce the moment we leave this room. I already have plans for you to marry Natalie."

"So soon?"

"Yes, why wait? I plan to work with her father and we've already agreed that you two are to be married. So get on with informing Olivia about this."

"I will." Though he was about to leave, he noticed her sinister smirk as she intertwined her fingers. "Is there something on your mind?"

"This is about to be so satisfying. That good for nothing will be on her knees, begging you not to divorce her while holding onto your legs."

As he imagined it, his condescending attitude took over and that was now what he expected to happen when he would tell Olivia.

With his head high, he headed out before his mother, ready to break Olivia's heart and leave her devastated.

~

When Ethan had left with his mother so they could speak in private, Olivia had been left standing on the staircase with Mr Philip and Natalie.

She had glanced at them a few times and noticed they had been staring at her, then back at each other.

Uncomfortable, she looked away from them and around at the other guests who had arrived, despite having no intention to mingle with any of them.

Right when she made herself busy with that, Natalie caught her attention when she began to speak.

"Ms Hudson was right about you, Olivia."

It was such an unspecified statement that Olivia narrowed her eyes. "What are you talking about?"

Leaving Olivia puzzled even more, Natalie looked over at her father.

"Dad, don't you agree?"

"Of course," he said. "Ms Hudson was totally right. I can see it."

Natalie chuckled as she scanned Olivia's face. "Ms Hudson pointed out the resemblance between you and your father."

As soon as her father was mentioned, Olivia narrowed her eyes. She finally began to understand what the topic of discussion was all about.

When Mr Philip agreed with his daughter. Olivia couldn't figure out what interest it was to them to talk about her father.

Because of all she had been through, she wasn't fond of talking about her father. She even had no family to lean on. She was all alone since no one wanted to be associated with her.

Wanting to get away from the two of them, she sighed deeply and forced a smile.

"Excuse me," she said, attempting to walk past them.

Right before she could leave, Natalie stood in her way and chuckled.

"So tell us. How does it feel?"

"What are you talking about this time?" Olivia asked, a little bit annoyed.

"I'm talking about being Mr Parker's daughter. He was a man who was once considered wealthy, only to discover that it was all stolen money. I heard he passed away during investigations."