November 23rd, 1994

𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎-𝒯𝓌𝑜

"Are you still reading that letter?"

"It's not my fault that my mum practically sends a self-help book with every letter. She has to outline every reading she can... Oh, wait, I found the part about Tracey's necklace."

Valeria read over the words silently to herself first as the rest of the group led the way back up to the castle from their Herbology lesson. Everyone was quiet as they burrowed into their coats... the approaching winter not at all shy about leaving its mark in the form of red noses and aching hands. It was a bitter Monday, students ready to leave their last classes for the day and head off to their common rooms for needed warmth and rest.

Valeria entertained her friends all day with one of her mother's letters. The muggle woman a tad bit overzealous, a letter a loose term used to describe the pile of papers that came once a month, boxes of trinkets always added on. The poor owls always tasked with delivery were never compensated enough for their troubles.

This time it had included a neat little chain with one single golden topaz pendant, an early birthday present for Tracey. The girl hadn't stopped smiling upon realization it was for her... coming from a family who had never had much in terms of money, even one single gem made her day.

"Okay, okay, okay. So topaz is your birthstone," Tracey looked attentively to Valeria as she fiddled with her new necklace, "Golden topaz specifically is for friendship. It will attract helpful people into your life. It is a powerful stone for manifestation through will... blah blah blah, chakras. Strengthening the will... and pink hues within is a sign of heart-based intentions. The good fortune that comes your way will be loving and positive." Valeria finished off with an elongated sorta awe.

Sally-Ann wasted no time in nudging Tracey, a big smirk on her face, "Manifesting anything in particular over there, Tracey?"

Tracey nudged back, ignoring Sally-Ann's wiggling eyebrows. Dropping her necklace, she just smiled, "You know I don't believe in any of that stuff." Despite that, she did smile back down at her necklace, "The thought behind it is nice, though."

Theodore rolled his eyes, the cold air making him bitter, "Starts with one nice rock, and then someday you will be joining Collins in looking at Saturn. Madness."

Iris nudged Theodore, shaking her head with a little laugh as Valeria snapped her head back with a glare, "And yet, I, the mad star girl, have chatted up far more girls than you ever will."

Laughs broke out all around, Sally-Ann and Valeria shooting teases back and forth. Theodore so quickly the subject in a series of jokes about his lack of attention from girls, jokes that all the girls found hilarious while he was just left to roll his eyes. Completely unbothered.

If there was anything admirable about the boy... it was that he didn't have an ego that relied on others.

But still, when Jane spoke up to step in for the boy, she was deemed his favorite friend, "Okay, okay, everyone, give him a break. Especially you, Tracey."

Valeria and Sally-Ann snorted as Tracy immediately silenced her laughing, face flaming at the horrific irony in her teasing Theodore for getting no attention from girls.

Iris fought back her laugh as she looked to Theodore, doing her best to come off as more serious as she defended him, "Oh, let us be completely honest for once. We all know Theo would be a Casanova if he really wanted."

It was the second time she had said it... and as he looked down to watch her further defend it to the others... okay, maybe his ego did have some reliance on others. And it would be such a lie to call Jane his favorite.