Chapter 39 - The Last Straw

Beginne am Anfang

He scoffed. "Really? And it's alright for you to do that to Olivia?"

"Must her name always come up? Why do you defend her so much when she's good for nothing?!"

"I told you to stop talking about her like that. She means more to me than you c-"

"Oh just shut up about her!"

"Did you attend this event just to humiliate her?"

"You make it sound like I have nothing more important to do. Are you forgetting who you're talking to? No corporate event happens without me knowing about it."

"Then you didn't have to say all that in the presence of Mr Jones, even if it backfired."

Not even wanting to think about how unsuccessful she was, she took a step closer and shook her head with mockery. "Are you here because you're trying to make it big without me?"

"Yes," he said with a poker face.

"Do you really think that's possible with me in the picture?"

Sensing the malice in her words, he sighed with disbelief. "Don't ruin this for me."

Her gaze turned sinister. "All I have to do is say the word and no one will ever work with you."

"Will you go that far just to see me beg and crawl at your feet?"

"Why can't you see that you were nothing when I found you at the orphanage and you'll always be exactly that without me?"

Her words cut so deep that he sighed with defeat. "Just when I thought you couldn't push me further away from you, you proved me wrong."

As soon as she heard him utter those words, she turned sorrowful, panicking inside as she could see just how hurt he was despite being brave.

"Oh, my son," she said, stretching her hand so she could touch his face but he moved to the side and walked past her without saying a word.

"My son! My son! Wait! Listen to me!"

As much as she tried, she was unable to keep up with his long strides and her heels didn't help.  She only completely stopped following him when it was no longer just the two of them.

As she watched him get lost in the crowd, her hand trembled as she covered her mouth for a few seconds, worried about how the distance between them only seemed to widen.

~

When Ethan and Olivia were on their way back home, she rested her head on his chest as their fingers intertwined. He had told her about the encounter he had with his mother and it only upset him more to talk about it.

Despite her efforts to comfort him and calm him down, it did nothing for him.

When they arrived home, Angela came running down the stairs, shocking only Olivia, as Ethan walked past both of them as he took off his jacket.

"Ma'am, you're finally back."

"Did something happen?" asked Olivia, glancing at Ethan until he was out of sight.

"You told me I could speak to you after you returned."

"Now isn't a good time."

"Please, Ma'am, this can't wait any longer." She brought her hands together, almost tearing up.

When Olivia sensed Angela's desperation, she decided to listen, letting Ethan have a moment alone.

Olivia then sat down on the couch and Angela stood right in front of her and just suddenly leaned forward and whispered quickly with wide eyes that they found Ethan's biological mother.