Prison of the Dragonhound (Highfantasy)

April 14, 1835

I finally had an evening free to investigate that portal. Rodger had been insufferable, keeping me occupied with studies, rites, and hours of conversations. I would have thought he had a little more faith in me now. 

No matter, I found a chance to slip away. I do believe the proctor has taken a liking to me. He saw me escape but merely winked and kept along like he hadn't seen. Felt odd to receive such courtesy from a true man of God while I, His wandering son, crept off to find what was likely a door of the devil's. Or of Lilith's. 

Hurrying through the sunset streets, I didn't know if those two...men were around, but I wouldn't let that possibility deter me. I looked out of place, but my cassock prevented any questions, thank God. Besides, anybody afoot either scuttled into the dark or back home to supper.

Nearly mixed up the streets, but at length I found the alleyway. Not due to the surroundings, per se. Rather the drop in my stomach as I neared the abandoned shop. I kept a wide berth to it, you can be sure.

 Couldn't remember exactly where the light had been. I chanted a short prayer for guidance, exchanging Mother Mary's name for Lilith's. God forgive my blasphemy, but at my prayer the ring of light glowed faintly against the wall. I pushed, it gave a little. I threw my weight against it and the wall bowed in.

A rush of colors surrounded me and dispelled when I hit solid ground. I thought I'd gone unconscious. The alleyway had vanished, Paris was gone.  

But I was very much conscious. 

I do not know how long I lay in that state. Then I felt something warm and damp across my neck. Immediately roused, I looked up to see an enormous black hound bent over me. 

I can't deny he was a homely bastard. He didn't look particularly friendly, but he didn't growl or hold himself with hostility. Still, I didn't dare move until I knew for sure.

The hound sniffed my face and neck. I noticed his breath was unbearably hot with a sort of charcoal smell to it. I found it odd. 

As I lay still, the hound nibbled and tugged at my collar. My God, I thought he wanted to chew out my throat. But he nuzzled lower, closer to my chest. I felt his tongue between the buttons. Afraid he was going to bite them off, I unfastened a few to appease him.

Immediately, he began lapping up the sweat on my chest. I can't begin to describe how odd the sensation was. Odder still was the incessant heat pouring from the creature's jowls. Its fangs also did not look like those of a dog. Rather its mouth was lined with teeth sharper, smoother, and closer together than I'd ever seen in a hound.

Honestly, the sight would have been hellish had the hound been aggressive. But he seemed content merely to lick my skin, even after every last drop of sweat had disappeared on his sticky tongue.

Feeling emboldened by his preoccupation, I raised my hand and scratched behind his ear. His fur was not as thick as I would have assumed. The skin under it was gnarly, as though a patchwork quilt of scabs knit together by fur. Hardened knobs formed a line along the edge of his skull.

At first I thought the poor creature was diseased. Perhaps this pity made me braver for I finally attempted to sit up. The hound didn't understand what I wanted and seemed distressed. As I struggled to calm him, the hem of my cassock rode above my knees, leaving the tattoed patch of skin uncovered. I didn't notice. 

The hound suddenly lunged and fastened his teeth over the faded tattoo. The jolt of pain and mingled panic froze me and I yelled. Releasing my leg, the hound reared and let out a majestic howl.

A wave of golden sparks emitted from his mouth, hurling into the void around us. The echo of his howl lingered, growing in strength until it reached the crescendo of a mighty roar. 

And the shimmering wave changed into the form of a dragon. Amazed, I watched as the dragon form flew and dipped around me majestically. I saw phantoms of mountain peaks and bountiful valleys pass beneath its majesty. Until at last it overshadowed the strange hound standing before me and vanished into his body. 

As if it had been spoken, I was given to understand this creature had once been a dragon. Why it had devolved into the form of a hound, I did not know, but he clearly did not belong in this prison of a void. 

I asked him if wanted to go home. His ears perked and he bumped his head against my chest, whining softly. I only noticed then how frantic and tired his eyes were. Who knew how long he'd been trapped here. Perhaps I was his only hope for rescue. I determined to at least try to free him.

Closing my eyes, I prayed the psalm of traveling. As I prayed, my hand reached for Lilith's stone around my neck. 

And from the depths I heard her voice,

Seek...

I opened my eyes at once. There I was, kneeling in the middle of the alleyway, the moon shining down upon me and the monstrous hound beside me.

As I rejoiced in my safe return, I was set upon by the dragonhound. He licked and nuzzled me affectionately. So affectionately, the poor fool got his head stuck between my body and cassock. Nearly tore my clothes in half before I managed to get his head back out. Glory be, I needed that laugh, though.   

He bounded away from me and before I knew it he was gone.

I don't know what I have unleashed, but I put the matter in God's hands.

At least the poor dog is happy now.