Act 8: Trial by Fire

Start from the beginning

"Right now, we just need to go to safety so she can return to her companion and fight Kagero," she said, making Seiji nod. "R-right! Sorry..." he said, wiping his tears before they followed Shirayuki, who soon found the remaining residents at the top of the outside stairs.

"Seiji! Shizuyo!" called a man, and Shirayuki remembered his voice when he greeted her and Ayuna. Seeing him, the two ran and hugged him, making him sigh in relief before looking up at Shirayuki. "Thank you," he said, making her nod.

Using her senses, Shirayuki could feel two other heat signals at the feet of the stairs, making her mentally sigh in relief. 'They managed to find their way out,' she thought before feeling the temple shake and frowning.

'My mission is not over yet,' she told herself, turning toward the temple. However, before she could take one step, Shizuyo hugged her back. "...I'm relieved to know we have family," she said before tightening her hug.

"Please come back alive," she pleaded, making Shirayuki hum and turn toward her before putting her hands on Shizuyo's shoulders. "I'm not planning on dying, and I'm glad I found family, too," she said with a smile before tilting her head.

"When this is over, we will be able to talk more," she said, making Shizuyo nod before the residents saw Shirayuki run back inside the temple.

~~~~~oOo~~~~~

'Kagero said he never fought one of us,' she thought, running up the stairs before dodging a falling part of the roof. 'So that means it's unlikely for him to know where uncle Touya is,' she concluded as she felt the temperature increase drastically.

Suddenly, the roof above her gave in, making her roll away. "You took your damn time," said Ayuna panting heavily as Kagero smirked at her. "I thought you got scared and left your little friend to die," he said, making Shirayuki take out her sword and stand beside Ayuna.

"Are you injured?" she asked, making Ayuna scoff and glare at Kagero. "As if he could hurt me," she lied, but Shirayuki saw through it. Shaking her head, "Are your injuries serious?" she asked again, making Ayuna roll her eyes.

"I will be fine," she said with a smile. "You shouldn't worry about me. It's not like we're friends," she said, making Shirayuki nod. "You're right," she said before taking a small breath. "Ice Breathing Second Form: Frozen Trail," she said, rushing at Kagero with great speed.

Smirking at this, he swung his swords when she got close. "I told you this wouldn't work," he said, forcing Shirayuki to duck underneath. "It works perfectly," said Ayuna, standing beside him while swinging her swords and cutting his limbs.

However, when she tried to go for the finish, Kagero smirked, and a massive pillar of flame caught her, making her cry in pain. "That's one done," he said when he saw Ayuna's burned form with smoke leaving her mouth before she fell as his limbs regrew.

Shirayuki silently gasped when she felt Ayuna's heat signal slowly decreasing before she ran at Kagero as he met her blade. "Oh my, did hurting your friend make you this mad?" he laughed, blocking Shirayuki's assault.