Chapter 22

"The doctor will be in shortly, in the meanwhile can you please fill out your admission's form?" The trauma physician wheels me back into my private room, where Molly sat waiting. As soon as I was assessed in Seattle Pres's ER, I got admitted and sent upstairs to get my blood drawn and have chest x-rays taken.

Molly stands back while the doctor and nurses stick new EKG stickers onto my chest. It only takes a few seconds for my heart rate to beep on the monitor next to me. "Should we call your emergency contacts ma'am, or has your friend done so already?" The nurse looks up at Molly while the doctor takes one last listen to my lungs with the stethoscope before he leaves the room.

Molly looks uncomfortable and a little unsure out about how to answer this, seeing how she probably guessed who my emergency contacts were. "Uhm. No, thank you. That won't be necessary." The nurse smiles at me and leaves me with the clipboard and pages of green forms to fill out. I stop her before she can reach the door. "Is it possible to change my emergency contacts?"

Molly pulls the visitor's chair closer to my bed and looks at me sadly. Although I want Carina by my side more than anything, I have to trust that Diane knows best. The fact that me being in a hospital bed was already used to get my wife in the same room as me once before, is not something I want to have happen again. If she wants to see me, I want it to be her choice.

"You can just update the details on page four, ma'am. We will upload it onto the national database, and it should be linked to your medical aid number almost immediately." I tell her thank you and start filling out all the questions on the forms. When I get to page four, I add Beckett's name and number and look up at Molly to ask her if she would mind if I used her to replace Andy.

Before I can even ask, she takes the clipboard from me and write down her details herself. I give her a grateful smile in return and drop the clipboard on the side table before I fall back against the raised bed and swallow down another rush of nausea. Molly gets up from her chair and joins me on the bed.

She takes my hand in hers and start massaging the uninjured hand. The worry lines on her face, a dead giveaway of how bad I must look. The adrenalin rush of the day and the last of the numbness completely evaporated while I was waiting to get my chest x-rayed and the pain everywhere started to get the better of me.

"Where's Beckett and Diane?" I couldn't help but notice that as I was wheeled back to the wing I was being treated on, that I saw no sign of either of them. "Diane went back to her office to clear her schedule for the next few days and Sean..." When her words trail off, I peak open my one eye to look at what her face will tell me, since she was too scared to voice it.

"I sent him home to spend some time with his son and get some sleep." My mood shifts again when she confesses that and my throat gets tight from the unshed tears, which causes me to cough once again. God, my chest protested every time I had to do that, and my piercing headache wasn't a bigger fan.

"You should go be with your family." She brushes my hair out of my face and cups my cheek while shaking her head. "I didn't mean to hurt him, I swear. You need to go make sure he's coping with this." Her sitting here, taking care of me was stupid. The love of her life just went through something traumatic, and she was wasting her time with me.

The fear of losing someone in his team, let alone a friend was one of Beckett's triggers. I will never forgive myself if he relapses because of me. "Maya. Stop spinning. Sean is fine, he just needs to be mad at you for a minute and find his zen before he comes back. I'm not worried and neither should you be." She wipes the tear that escaped from my eye away from my cheek, pulling me into a safe embrace while I try to find solace in her words.

We pull apart when a tall doctor with broad shoulders walks into my room. "Lieutenant Bishop. I'm Dr. Zahir Kumar, the pulmonologist on call." He shakes my hand before turning to Molly to do the same. He checks my vitals and enters them into my chart before he turns to me.