Home is Where the Heart is

CHAPTER 21: HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS

---

Shikamaru let out a subtle smile as he felt a chakra pulse beside him, "You're early." Shino commented as he landed on the tree branch his teammate was resting on.

"I'm not," the pineapple-haired boy snorted, "I'm on time. You are the one who's late."

"Sakura is not here; hence, I am not late."

"That troublesome girl probably got lost or something."

They felt a soft pulse of chakra before they heard a familiar snort, "Wow, I feel so loved," the duo looked behind them to see the pinkette smiling at them, "You're cranky on such a lovely morning, Shika." she teased.

Shikamaru scoffed, "The damn mission lasted a year when it was supposed to end after 6 months. You try not to act cranky when you don't have the damn Suna Siblings follow you everywhere you go." He half-heartedly grumbled as he stood up from his seated position.

"I cannot relate," Shino, the ever-sassy one, nodded to himself, "The Palace was very pleasant, and the sunset view was something I enjoyed daily."

"Good for you."

Sakura giggled, "Mizukage-sama practically just let me do anything I wanted. I was even present in some of the later meetings. I learned a lot during my duration in Kiri, but I must say that I won't miss the humidity." She jumped onto the branch they were one, "Shall we?"

"Finally, let's go home."

X

"I assume all the reports are condensed and in order?" Tsunade asked as she lazily gestured to the scrolls laid on her desk, "Suna's acting Kazekage, the Mizukage, and the Captain for the Fire Daimyo have given me their abridged versions of the mission progress. I've briefly gone through them, but I'll be cross-referencing it with yours just in case." Her honey-colored eyes looked at the three young Chuunin.

"Yes, Hokage-sama."

"Good," she nodded before she gestured to the silent Jounin, "In case anything happens, I'll have Shizune get in touch with you, as you are their acting squad leader."

Asuma nodded, "Of course, Hokage-sama."

Tsunade smiled before she leaned back to rest on her chair, "Formality aside, I'd like to congratulate all three of you for a good job. Granted the mission lasted more than its expected duration, all of you were highly praised for your professionalism."

"Really?" Shikamaru asked, "With how much the old council members acted around me, I thought they were gonna throw me out if I so much as sneezed." He snorted.

The woman smirked, "Tough luck, kid. Chiyo seems to have a soft spot for you. She mentioned in her report that you were a tough cookie, but a smart one at that. She respects you but she said that she's not above poisoning your tea the next time you get assigned to Suna."

"Troublesome woman."

"And you," She turned to the Aburame, "The Captain is actually recommending you to be one of the acting Ambassadors between the Fire Daimyo and Konoha, granted there's a lengthy process before anything is official, but he likes you."

"I am humbled by your words, Hokage-sama." Shino said as he bowed his head in respect.

"Kiss ass." Shikamaru muttered to the silent pinkette which prompted a soft giggle.