Chapter 10 : The Dance Cards

It was beautiful. 

On the contrast with the hallway, this room was so bright upon first glance, it was blinding. My eyes quickly adjusted, but the door men hadn't given my ears the chance to. 

"Madame (Y/N) (L/N)!" They announced. 

I jolted more than I should have. 

I was standing atop a marble winding staircase. There were at least a hundred people at my feet beneath me. They were all young, I tried to pick out a familiar face, perhaps Professor Weasley was here- Or even Headmaster Black? But I couldn't see them.

"Move along please miss." One of them whispered in my ear. I was stepping down the stairs before I knew it. I took a deep breath as I stepped down. A soft tone of stringed music filled my ears, the laughter had died, but it was a mix of loud talking, and whispers. Once more, the doormen spoke up, as I was making my way down the stairs. 

"Madame (L/N) has a high regarded pure blood status, a highly regarded witch, in status of schooling and of house Gaunt." 

What were they baffling on about? Highly regarded? No one was making sense. I still looked out into the crowd, my dance card now hidden in my palm and thumb. Everyone was looking at me. Everyone there was the same age as me, some looked as if they were too good to be here. All proud. Eyes like they were analysing me. 

I had reached the bottom of the staircase. When I felt a hand grab my wrist gently, I turned to my right. Ominis. 

He looked beautiful. 

His hair was swept back, but not as tightly as it usually was. His expression was calm, almost relaxed. He wore a long, dark, evening blue blazer. Adorned with silver buttons upon each side. A almost darker teal waistcoat, striped, with sliver lining. Dark grey trousers. A white shirt, and a cream ascot, which had a opal gem setting it into place. I didn't realise I wasn't breathing until he spoke.

"I was wondering when you'd arrive- or if you would arrive at all." He explained, his lips curling to a smile. "I'm glad you're here."

"I-I'm happy to be here." I smiled, as he lowered his hand from me, when I remembered. "Oh Ominis, the doormen gave me this strange card when I came in- said it was a dance card or something." I offhandedly remarked. 

"What? They gave you one?" He hissed. Then raising his hand to the bridge of his nose, and furrowed his face. "Brilliant." He muttered. "Give it to me." He demanded. 

"O-kay?" I slowly lifted his hand, and put the card in it. As now I only realised, his wand was not in sight. "Ominis- where's your wa-" 

My question was cut by his action, in which he had pulled it out from his inside pocket, and tapped my card, then thrusted a different card into my hand. "Here- put your name there." He asked of me, I did what he did, taking my wand out, and tapping the card, I handed his back to him, then he gave mine to me. I looked down at it. 

There were six slots, with the simple words 'Dance Card' at the top. I had noticed Ominis had put his name down in one of the slots, the other five were blank. Puzzled. "Ominis- what is this-?" When I looked back up, he stuffed his wand away again, as I was confused on how he could see without it, I could still see the whites covering his eyes, so he definitely couldn't see. "Why isn't your wand out-? What's going on?" 

He took my arm, leading me away from the crowds. He was angry, but I don't think it was with me. "Listen, be careful on who you let sign that thing- okay? The dance isn't what you think it is- just be careful- okay? And as long as my hand is on my wand I can see, father likes to make jokes of my sight, and bet I couldn't last a night without whipping it out whenever- listen, I'm sorry- I have to go, please excuse me-"